Adding memory to a notebook computer

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Gary->dee, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I have a Toshiba notebook that currently has 512mb of memory split between two 256mb boards but I've been looking into upping it a bit because I have so many programs that drain the memory. Stuff like Photoshop, Word, and so on. I was thinking of swapping one of the 256mb boards with a 512mb board.

Are there any people out there that have upgraded their notebooks memory? I'm curious to find out the results and such. Is there a noticeable difference in terms of performance and speed?

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

If you're running a memory-intensive program such as Photoshop, or just multitasking, you should see an improvement because Windows will have more elbow room and not have to hit the pagefile so frequently.

You should visit www.crucial.com or www.kingston.com, both sites have a easy way to find what RAM will fit your notebook by just picking manufacturer and model number.

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Wayne, your Kingston link doesn't work - there's a "," in there that there shouldn't be.

I'd also check Memory Supplies. I upgraded my Dell Inspiron by 512MB for $99.00 as compared to $109.99 at Crucial or $172.00 at Kingston. (And about $199.99 at Dell's own site.) Humming along very nicely and works much better with my RAM-intensive video digitizing, editing and DVD mastering projects.

Regards,

Joe

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

First, make sure you CAN upgrade. I have a Dell Latitude C800 from a few years back that I ordered with 512MB and that is the MAX it can handle, unfortunately. Also, make sure you know what you're doing when you add new memory . . . it's usually a little more difficult in a notebook than a desktop since you'll probably have to take a few screws out.

As mentioned, it will be worth it if you use Photoshop or if you do lots of multi-tasking. It could also smooth out games and DVD's a little depending on your current processing power.

Good luck.

5. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Thanks for the information, guys! Wayne's crucial link came in especially handy.

Seth turns out my notebook can handle a maximum of 2048MB so I can add a lot more memory. Most likely I'll start by getting a 512mb module and it's at a good price at $104! I'd go for a 1gig but I can't flex $355 for that right now.

Anyway I've been in my notebook a few times within the past few days. My notebook comes with 2 memory slots and I mistakingly thought only one was occupied by a 512mb module. Wrong, turns out there are two 256mb modules in there so initially when I thought I could add another 256mb to a single 512mb module- that wasn't happening, so I had to return the 256mb I had bought. I'll keep price checking a 512mb(Best Buy has a Kingston 512mb for $199) but most likely I'll go for what crucial has. [​IMG]

6. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I didn't do that, the forum software did it when it recognized the urls and automatically tagged them. Usually I make sure to space after a url so the tag won't include the punctuation, but I guess I was in a hurry. I'll fix it.

I didn't mention making sure that the notebook doesn't already have its maximum RAM, because I think those websites will tell you what the max is for your particular model. I too have a Dell notebook that's a few years old, and its max is 512MB. I believe that's a limitation of the Intel 815M chipset it uses.

7. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Well according to crucial.com and a guy I talked to at Fry's my Toshiba notebook can handle two 1 gig modules of memory or 1 gig per slot. So I should be ok. [​IMG]

I ordered a 512mb module yesterday from crucial, hopefully should arrive within the next day or so. [​IMG]

8. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Well I finally got my UPS package from crucial today containing my 512mb module. Didn't exactly arrive in 2 days as the website mentioned but hey I still saved around $20-50 if not more(paid $113 with tax).

I took out one of the 256mb modules and replaced it with the 512mb and I've noticed that my notebook seems to be humming at a slightly faster pace. So thanks guys for your help, especially Wayne for turning me on to crucial. [​IMG] [​IMG]