What's new

Adding Line-level output to HDTV (1 Viewer)

Luckyedboy66

Auditioning
Real Name
stan lee
First off, as this is my first I'd like to say hello to everybody here.

I need some advice on adding a line level adapter to my Samsung and Sony HDTVs. I was very disappointed (twice) to find that both TVs do not have audio outputs that are affected by the set/remote control volume. This makes adding a simple external sound system a pain as I cannot control the external volume via the remote (an A/V receiver isnt an option currently). I have been considering tapping a 2 channel line level adapter off the set speakers and then feeding the external sound system that way. Can anybody see any problems I would encounter by doing it this way (other than likely voiding the warranty)? Its going to be a pain to crack open the set(s), so i want to get it right the first time. Any wiring suggestions while I'm in there?

This is what I'm looking at installing: amazon.com/...

I think it is for automotive installations, but it should work right? I'm kind of worried about all the wires sticking out... I should only need three. Thanks in advance!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Welcome to the forum!

First - let me be sure I understand this correctly.

Getting a separate receiver (even a basic stereo model) is not an option...

...but cracking open a tv (thus voiding the warranty) and potentially soldering/connecting a converter, and having it dangle out from a hole you'll inevitably have to punch into your TV cabinet IS?

Is the fact that you want to use the TV remote to control the volume the sole driving factor here? Also, you realize that you're going through all of this simply to get better analog stereo audio - not digital multichannel audio?

In the least, any receiver's remote control can be programmed to turn on or off your TV. Alternatively, a $30 or less programmable universal remote control can easily consolidate a number of devices (you don't mention how many sources you have).

My opinion is that you're going about this from the wrong direction - rather than modify the TV (which in a decent setup should be nothing more than a monitor), you should be looking into external devices that offer what you want and more.

Tell us your goals, what devices/sources you have, what speakers you're trying to connect, and what sort of budget you anticipate having and we can try coming up with smarter and safer options.

Luckyedboy66

Auditioning
Real Name
stan lee
Well, when you put it that way, it does sound a bit preposterous, but I am aiming for simplicity, for my parent's sake. My mother is helpless when the HDMI sources get changed, so adding a receiver into the mix could be disastrous. Plus, I am very handy with wiring, soldering, etc, so I'm not worried about that aspect. And at the end of the day, it still pisses me off that they couldnt have just added a menu option for controllable volume output.

I have looked at adding a receiver, but I can't just bring myself to buy a cheap receiver. It'll have to be a nice yamaha or pioneer, then I'll have to buy nice speakers and subs, and the list goes on. One day yes, but for now, I'm making do with what I have.

Add: Oh, and right now I have a 5.1 computer rigged with one tv, and a Tivoli bookself stereo speaker and sub with the other. Both TVs have Dish Network 722k HD receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks