adding hardrive

Discussion in 'Computers' started by tom stewart, Jan 19, 2004.

1. tom stewart

tom stewart Auditioning

I am using my pc as a pvr and want to add addition storage.
    I'm using xp home and the existing hardrive is 60 gig. I want to add a 250 gig hardrive. Does the new drive need an operating system or just formatted?

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

If you're just using it for storage then formatting is all you need.

3. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

Follow the installation instructions carefully. Drives larger than 137GB may require one of the following: Windows XP SP1 and a registry patch, Ultra ATA/133 PCI card, or a compatable motherboard chipset. When I installed Maxtor 160GB and 250GB drives, my computers required installation of MaxBlast software and the EnableBigLBA registry patch to avoid data loss.

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Well, partitioning, then formatting.

5. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I got two 200GB drives for Christmas. I put both into 3.5 USB 2.0 enclosures and hooked 'em up. I use them for video storage and editing (for DVD creation) and for PVR recording (transfer to DVD-RW or VCD-RW to watch down stairs.)

6. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    since i'll be building a new pc within the next year or two, anybody know if there are chipsets already in use that support 137+ gb drives? i have one now, and i use xp sp1 with an ata133 card. pain in the ass to get it going after a clean install. well not that much of a pain, but i like to get it going quickly. anyway, will motherboards support this in the future? or now?

CJ