Adding digital out to an older CD player possible?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Chris PC, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I'm thinking of adding digital output to an older CD player as a project. Is it hard? I have a second identical player to use as a practice guinea pig. Here is more info:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...7&pagenumber=2

I added this here to redirect cause I figured my added post to that thread wouldn't be seen with the subject line and all.

2. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

Consult the data sheet for the DAC chip used in your player.
    Also try posing the question in the digital forum at: http://www.diyaudio.com/
    There are some pretty sharp folks over there.

Tom

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Cool. Thanx. Like I said, with an identical working, but less than perfect CD player around its surely a possible project. I'm nearly positive that there was a CD player that was almost identical to my model but with the inclusion of digital out. Worth a look, but I can't find anything on the net. I'll check out diyaudio. Thanx.

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I registered there and will post a question. I just obtained a Marantz SR 7000. No more digital audio delay or dropouts. Now I REALLY want to make a digital output for this CD player [​IMG]

Has any of you added digital output to a CD player?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sell both the CDPs and get a newer/used one that has a digital out. [​IMG] You should be able to pick up a Sony 222ES for a good price these days.

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I know, I've seriously thought about doing what you're saying. The idea is to have a simple project. I've thought about getting a simple 5 disc from any of the manufacturers. What I like about the Sony is it is lightening fast, and I mean that literally. Changing discs, starting, loading and unloading. Click and it goes. I'm tired of waiting for my DVD player scan all the discs and do all kinds of stuff, even when the first thing I press when the power is off, is the open button and it still takes 15 to 20 seconds to open. The Sony is instant! I've looked at some newer 5 disc carousel players and also the 200,300 and 400 disc players that do CDR/W and MP3. I will grab something like that one day. This adding digital to the Sony CDP-C50 is just a curiosity project. I am dying to find out if I can see what player it was that was around at the same time as mine but had digital out.

7. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Chris,
    I have thought about doing the same thing.
    I have an old player that I love to death, and would like to add a digi out.
    I don't really wanna buy anything new until they make a "universal" (all formats) changer.

I have only found this
    http://www.msbtech.com/msb_home.htm

click on products and then scroll down.

It's a bit more than I wanna pay so maybe it's not a smart choice unless it could be done cheaper.

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I guess I should look into Sony products archives. I've heard its hard to get information from Sony. If I could find the service manual for both mine and the unit that I think is nearly identical to mine, I'm sure I'd find out if its possible to mod mine with whatever parts the other has.

9. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I won't be spending $300 + USD to upgrade my Sony CD player with digital output! Thats for sure.

I have found out that the C5F does have digital toslink output, but its not the player that is identical to my C50 with the exception [or should I say inclusion [​IMG] ] of the toslink jack.

If anyone knows where I could find a CD player that is identical in every way to the Sony CDP-C50 but it has toslink output, please let me know which model cd player that is. I may get a service manual for the C50.

If you can help in any way, lemme know [​IMG]