What's new

Adding brightness to a mpg file? (1 Viewer)

Josh Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I need to brighten up an mpeg capture of my daughter from my JVC DV. I can’t seem to figure out how to do it...any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have windows XP, with Windows Movie Maker? Might be a cheap (free) way to do it there.. I've used it a lot, lots of cool special effects you can apply to kids movies, I'm sure "brighten" is probably one! :)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
try virtualdub. free and easy, but you may not be able to save back to mpg. you can always re-encode back to mpg though. not sure if you just need the video brighter, or whether you need it in mpg.

CJ

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
You should capture to a DV AVI file instead of MPEG. If you start out with a MPEG compressed file, then brighten it and save it as an MPEG (which means recompressing it again), the image quality will be lower than if you went straight from the AVI, brightened it, and saved it as an MPEG.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Connect the camera to your computer's Firewire port. Then use WinDV to copy the video from the camera to the computer. This method will give you an exact copy of what is on the DV tape.

(There are other programs you can use besides WinDV, but it is the best one that I have used, and it is free.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks