What's new

Adding another project to the list.... (speakers) (1 Viewer)

Clay Autery

Stunt Coordinator
Just ordered 4ea KIT-281s, a Tempest, and the required accessories to complete the 4 mains and the sub (except the amp.... hoping to get a deal on one somewhere).
I'm going to use the 281s in sealed cabinets as my fronts and surrounds. I'm planning to add Adire's LCC as soon as it is available as the Center Channel speaker.
The Tempest will be built as a ported (Adire alignment) modified externally to serve/look like a "coffee" table... not that anyone will ever be allowed to get anywhere near it with a drink. ;) Hopefully, I'll find a good deal on a 250W plate amp before it comes time to build the sub...
Should be a serious improvement over the crappy Take-5 commercial set I had to settle for 1.5 years ago... Now if I can just get through the pre-requisite projects so I can start building speakers. ;)
Sorry for the long post... I get excited when I get to order new toys to play with... :)

Will Pomeroy

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats! i'm sure my signature will have plenty of meaning to you!

Make sure you post lots of pics!

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Excellent selection but I strongly recommend you build vented Kit281s all the way around .

The sealed kit281 will require a stand and takes up the same amount of floor space as the vented.

The vented Kit281 sounds alot like a sealed design because it is tuned so low, the port will add very little.

Clay Autery

Stunt Coordinator
Will - Yes it does actually... Kinda similar to mine. :) Will do... Once I've acquired and built all my current projects, I won't have enough "play" money left to do much more than write up the completed projects and post images. ;)
James - I am toying with the idea of the ported and TL cabs too (I'm a joinery nut), but a couple of things have me leaning toward the sealed versions.
1) Smaller sealed cabinets are more versatile than the floor standing vented cabs... I've designed my own version of the Flexy rack to match my Component Flexy... The stands/speakers though the same footprint essentially will appear to be smaller which equals a higher SAF. The "boss" hates tower speakers... hence why I am camo'ing the sub as a "coffee table".
2) I am also toying with the idea of using a speaker suspension harness I designed to suspend the mains and surrounds from the ceiling. The suspension system as designed will virtually disappear against the background and will free up additional floor space.
3) And my HT room is relatively small, and thus doesn't necessarily require the additional extension offered by the ported or TL designs. Dan (from Adire) tells me that based on my room size and components, that the sealed 281s coupled with the Tempest should provide plenty of sound for my application.
4) This is my first attempt at building speakers, and the sealed cabinets seem to offer fewer opportunities for mistakes. ;)
Blake - The LCC is Adire's upcoming larger dedicated Center Channel speaker kit that Dan says "will match the KIT281s VERY nicely…". Supposed to be available around the end of May for $249.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks