Adding and Explorer 8300 to an existing cable account?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steve Rino, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Steve Rino

Steve Rino Auditioning

I assumed that I could just go on Ebay buy a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 DVR and plug it in and use it. Now I found out that the local Cox San Diego provider does not support or activate any equipment but their own rental boxes forcing me to either rent from them or go to a Tivo. Is there any options or am I stuck with a box I can't use now?

2. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

To answer your last question first, you are stuck with a box you can't use and will likely never be able to use because its stolen and no cable comapny anywhere will authorize it.
    as far as I know none of the manufacturers offer their boxes for sale to the general public so the only place you can buy one is off E-bay from someone who stole it or didn't return it to the cable company that owns it.
    Right now your only option for avoiding box rental fees is a cable card which is very limited in functionality and still carries a small monthly fee.
    I know right now it seems that the cable company is scamming you for $8.00 a month or what ever it is they charge but if that box were available to you retail it would cost around $850.00 and be obsolete in three years at least with renting you can upgrade without shelling out a lot of cash.
    On top of that I have found the SA dvr's to be a little flaky and I have to have mine replaced every 18 months for one reason or another and I don't worry about it because I just get a new one.

I think that you will see this whole rental thing start to change in the next couple of years because the cable companies may start to feel the heat from phone companies offering video services and there is a new two way technology called OCAP which is being implemented which promises to make current boxes obsolete. If you can hang on a couple of years I think we will see a lot more options than we have today.

3. Steve Rino

Steve Rino Auditioning

Who buys these units on Ebay and what are they being used for? I notice a lot are selling? Can you configure them for a stand alone DVR?