Adding an EQ to a Surround Receiver.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Pat_TL, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Pat_TL

Pat_TL Stunt Coordinator

After missing the powerful sound I used to get out of my two-channel Yamaha receiver/JBL tower speaker system (prior to catching the HT bug) which was connected with a graphic EQ running through it, I was wondering if there was a way I could connect an EQ to my Onkyo TX-SR600 surround receiver (there is no tape 2 loop; I am using the Tape 1 inputs) just to punch up the sound this thing gives because it really ain't that mind-blowing....would this be recommended, and would the EQ have any effect on DIGITAL signals that get passed to the receiver, such as Dolby Digital or DTS from DVDs? Is there a way to EQ THESE signals as well as the analog ones, or is this not recommended?

Seems EQ just gives a punch lacking from my current setup...

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Pat,

I think you’ll find everything you want to know at this link.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Pat_TL

Pat_TL Stunt Coordinator

Wayne,

Thanks very much for your link; I read your reply in that link and I am considering now running my EQ just between my CD changer and the receiver so I can at least EQ music playback....so, essentially, if you can make this easier for me....is it worth or possible to EQ Dolby Digital and DTS signals, or does EACH channel, as you were explaining, need EQ-ing then?

Here is another thing: I noticed on some New Line Cinema DVDs, when you start the audio menu, there will be a line that says "Dolby Digital (or DTS) Playback Optimized For Surround Playback....No Equalization Necessary".....I noticed this with the "Butterfly Effect" DVD I believe; what do you make of this? Are they saying we dont need EQs in our 5.1 systems?

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The only way to equalize Dolby Digital or DTS is after conversion to an analog 5.1 signal. This would be true for both outboard and a receiver’s internal equalizing. With outboard equalizing the only way is per-channel between the pre amp outputs and amplifiers.

You don’t necessarily have to equalize each channel – you can treat any channel you want (or not). Many people, if they do use outboard equalizers, do only the front channels, or the sub, etc. Or, the front channels get the best EQ, like 1/3-octave or parametric, with the rear channels getting a less precise or more general EQ. You can see this concept in the analog multi-channel equalizers from Audio Control.
    Can’t say I’ve ever seen this, but my best guess is that it means it doesn’t need the Re-EQ function that comes with THX certified receivers. Perhaps someone else can comment further.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt