What's new

Adding amp to factory HU possible? (1 Viewer)

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
I will be picking up my new orange 2004 Mazda 3 Sport in a couple of weeks. :D

I am willing to stay with the factory HU because I didn't want to loose the stereo controls on the steering wheel. Also, with an aftermarket HU I would most likely loose the functionality of the wide dot matrix display in the upper part of the dash. And I don't want to mention the size of surround that I'd need if I were to have an aftermarket HU installed.

Anyway, obviously, since the factory HU doesn't have line outs, can I easily add an amp (a mono for a sub or a 5 channel for all speakers and a sub)?

TIA

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yes, you either need to make sure the amp can take a high (voltage) level input versus a line level input. Also, you need to find out what connections you have on the amp itself, RCA connections or both a "speaker wire" and RCA connector. JL Audio amps can take high level inputs but only has an RCA connector so you either buy or make a wire to RCA adaptor which is what I did. Like you, I am currently using the stock HU in my Toyota MR2 so I made a connector. Do a search in this forum for my username "Jay H" and you'll see my posts not too long ago about making one and also how to do it. But it depends on your amp. If your amp doesn't take a high level input, you can simply buy a line level converter, any audio store (crutchfield, etc) sells them for I think around $30. Then you'd simply wire the Speaker Output from your HU to the line level converter and then from the line level converter to your amp, adjust the sensitivity and you're good to go.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks