Adding a Video In. Probably a dumb question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Garrison, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

I have a TV with only a Coax cable input. Anyway I can bypass that and add a Composite or Svideo input? I know this is a stupid question, but wondering if it's possible.

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Ken, its not a stupid question because it made me think. I would say even if somebody made something like that I don't think it would be advantageous because at some point it would be downgraded back to coaxial before it got to the tv. I just can't think of anything that bypasses your only input. Ever consider a cheap Samsung? Great tv for little dollars.

If you are wondering if you can hook a dvd player up to your tv then the answer is yes, they make special adapters for your type of tv.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Generally it is possible to add a (composite) video jack or an S-video jack to a TV that doesn't possess them, but it requires lots of electronic know how. Not worth it IMHO. You will succeed in putting a higher quality signal into the TV but it is likely that the rest of the electronics in the TV won't reveal much more resolution or clarity.
    Incidentally the video going into the antenna coax jack of an ordinary TV is soon converted into composite video as might be fed in through a video in jack, then is converted to S-video, then is converted (in most cases; the rare exception being a conversin into an incompatible orange-white-green YIQ instead of the usual red-white-blue Y/Pb/Pr) component video, then is always eventually converted into RGB.
    An example of the adapter needed to connect a DVD player to the antenna jack of the TV is the USD 30.00 RF modulator Radio Shack sells. Occasionally a VCR works as an adapter but 90% of all DVD's ever pressed won't play well through 90% of all VCR's ever manufactured due to copy protections in the DVD's.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Yeah, I know about RF modulators. I was just wondering if there was a way that a video signal wouldn't be converted to RF so the quality would be even better. Oh well. Anyway. I use my computer as my DVD player with the TV out and the TV OUT program I use is TV TOOL. It has a box I check mark to cancel the macrovision. Works quite well because I do use the VCR as my RF modulator. Before I had TV TOOL, I rented Space Galaxy, popped it in and know what? Macrovision. My dad didn't have any patients for me to fix it. So he took it back and got *gulp*, the Pan and Scanned VHS. I'm gonna rent it again on DVD and watch it again so I can see what I missed, now that I have TV TOOL to block the Macrocrap.