What's new

Adding a surround sub using line-outs? (1 Viewer)

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently wading throught the posts surrounding "which sub to buy," (for under $1K CAD delivered) and in doing so, began wondering what to do with my (Costco special) David D-Box 300 when I finally pull the trigger on a new sub...maybe keep it and move it to surround-sub duty?

My question? Has anyone tried running stereo rca cables from the "surround L & R" pre-outs on the back of the receiver to the L & R ins on a sub? What would happen? If the sub was located behind the prime listening position, with the crossover tweaked, would it add a little punch to the surround channels?

I tried searching, and all I could find were instances where people ran the speaker-wire through the sub, then up to surrounds--not the line-level pre-outs. In those posts, there were a number of mentions of cancellation and such, which I understand.

Or just sell the d-box for $100 to a friend...Thoughts?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
that should work, but because bass and time management is usually applied to the pre-outs, you'll have to leave your surrounds set as LARGE, and you'll have to dial in the best crossover, to meet your surrounds' natural roll-off, at the sub itself. running your surrounds as LARGE means you'll have to run the fronts as LARGE, too.

john aprile

Agent

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John--Some excellent info there!

In reading through the predominately stereo-subwoofer oriented info, however, I still couldn't find any direction when it came to putting my old sub behind the couch and running dual L&R Sub cables from the surround pre-outs to the L&R line level inputs on the sub.

Though the Secrets article did inform me that the resulting phase issues could be quite messy (and hard to tweak around, since surround bass isn't as common as the bass directed to the mains & center). Since I rarely listen to live, acoustic 2CH music, the concept of true L&R stereo subs isn't one I will be exploring.

...maybe I'll just sell the damn thing--$100 is 4 DVDs!! :)

john aprile

Agent
Derek,

Re sub/surrounds very doable ,however with the long runs and with many variables with phase and xovers simply outweigh the benefits which are diminutive… Sell it. Buy 4 reference DTS demo DVDs.

Start anew get a good sub the bigger the better regardless of room size, dial it in with the mains and surrounds you’ll have all the slam and impact required. :D

DerekF

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John--you just reinforced my decision!

Let's see...Master & Commander...the new Matrix...:)

john aprile

Agent
DerekF ,

The Haunting ,Finding Nemo ,Monsters Inc ,LOTRTT ,Toy Story 2 ,UnderWorld...not all DTS ,but all reference sound and video. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks