Adding A Sub to the Surrounds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Kuhns, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Adam Kuhns

Adam Kuhns Extra

Since I wired my front L/R's through the sub (powered) they sound incredible. I've gotten deeper, sharper and crisper bass response, plus more clarity from the mains themselves. Is it possible to have a sub generate the same or at least a noticeable effect on the surrounds when wired the same way?

2. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Sure.
    But some might argue that it wouldnt be worth it cause there isnt "enough" deep bass in the surrounds. Now, I disagree. There are lots of soundtracks out there with plenty of deep bass in the surround channels. Give it a try.
    ------------------
    Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

3. Wookie Groomer

Wookie Groomer Stunt Coordinator

All 5 channels of Dolby Digital and DTS have full range sound so subs on the rears will only improve things! If you are strictly Pro-Logic then you might want to re-consider.

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

There's a few concerns with surrounds woofage.
    1) assuming the main woof(s) are optimally located in the room...any alternative sub placement is likely to be less than optimal.
    2) in general..having one point source reproducing all the bass in a room will lead to the loudest/cleanest/flattest bass response over a variety of seating positions.
    As long as rerouting all the bass from your main channels(via bass management) doesn't overload your sub(s) at the levels you want to crank the system too....this tends to work bestimo.
    Most of the surround *woofs* added seem to be of questionable quality. Often they are moved there once the main woof is upgraded...or it might be a powered tower arrangement. If this is the case...then you need to figure out if having an *iffy* subwoofer dedicated to that specific channel would be better than rerouting all the bass from that channel to the (hopefully)high quality subs optimally placed for reproduction.
    The larger the room, and the less headroom you ahve on the main subs.....the more likely you might see some benefits from adding surround woofage. I would suggest making sure you have the main/LFE woofs maxxed out(optimized)regarding headroom,placement,and calibration before worrying about a surround woof though.
    TV

5. John H

John H Second Unit

I use a Paradigm PW-2200 subwoofer dedicated to each surround channel.
    A X-30 outboard crossover is implemented on each rear channel with an 80Hz highpass/lowpass. I balance the upper and lower end with Avias cycling high and low test tones.
    This works very well in my room. The rear stage sounded to thin without them.
    I use a pair of HGS-18's and a pair of BK tactile transducers for my LFE.
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Based Theater
    [Edited last by John H on November 01, 2001 at 10:22 PM]