Adding a SUB to the rear channels?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Ball, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

I used to have a Klipsch KSW-12 running my LFE and a Klipsch KSW-10 wired in parallel with my rear sorrounds KSP-S6 set to large. I remember that when i set the rears to large there was a lot of BASS back there. Anyway i sold them and upgraded to dual 20-39CS w/samson s700 and WOW what a difference, I have since sold the 20-39's and ordered the 20-39CS+ w/s1000 and can't wait for shipping to begin. I was just wondering if i'd still get the same effect adding another sub to the rears with the SVS runiing up front, I know theres a lot of DVD's out there that have 50hz or less going to the rears. Any opinions? Am i wasting my money?

Craig

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Wow, a dedicated SVS for the surround bass... Heck, why not. If I had the dough I would too. I am building my second sub which I will be using up front (LFE) with the current sub I have now as a dedicated surround sub.

3. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Craig,

I use two rear subs(one for each side). Some will say your crazy, but only your ears will tell the truth. I love mine and wouldn't trade my rear subs for anything. I find lots of movies have bass low enough for rear subs to make a difference.

Enjoy the sound.

4. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Thanks for the reply's, Neil i didn't mean i'd get another SVS in the rear, however nice that might seem, i was thinking more on the lines of one or two 10" subs in the back. Just something to bring out the bass in the rears. I know theres bass back there but i don't think it needs to go that low.

Craig

5. Rudy Llort

Rudy Llort Auditioning

Forgive the drop-in but I've heard quite a bit about adding a sub for surrounds. I'd like to try this with my 2nd sub however I'm not too sure how to hook-up. Should I simply just disconnect wires going to my surrounds and connect them to sub-w and then route wire from sub-w back to my surrounds?

Thanks.

6. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

Rudy,

JUst run the surround sires to the speaker level in. Run the speaker level out to the surrounds. Set the rears to large.

I have never heard anyone mention the loss of headroom in the receiver using a rear sub. I realize that the 2nd sub is also powered but, connecting it high level, won't it take more power from the receiver as opposed to setting the rears to small and directing the cutoff frequencies back to the main sub???

I have never heard this discussed? Is there any issue here or not?