What's new

adding a sub for under $500 (1 Viewer)

bigtank

Auditioning
Real Name
grant
What sub would anyone suggest to buy for $500 or less? I listen to more music that i want one for movies. Also while i like the idea of a DIY project, i just dont have the time or resources right now to build my own sub. If i did i would probably buy a JL 12 W3 to put into a cab.

I have a pioneer sx-7 receiver and bose interaudio 6000s hooked up, -- i also have a pair of 1977 bose 301s i would like to add to my system.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Budget = $500. Goals = More music than movies. How much space are you willing to give up for a sub? How large is the room? How loud do you listen to movies/music?

bigtank

Auditioning
Real Name
grant
Wel right now the room is pretty small, but i just want something that is versatile, i like to listen to music at a loud volume but not so loud it is distorted. I am pretty young and just starting my career in life so i may be moving around a lot so i hate to buy a sub that is designed for a particular size but not good in another size room. And im not too worried about space, i dont really want a a sub as big as a 15" but i would give up 12'' size.

bmxmen

Auditioning
Real Name
Kamil
I think it is good idea to buy used earthquake supernova, in 10 or 12' it will by fast to music and low to a videos.On ebay i have seen on ebay this sub.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please do not use the word 'fast' to describe a sub. The idea the drivers move at different speeds was proven incorrect by Dan Wiggins of Adire Audio years ago - http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/WooferSpeed.pdf

If you are trying to describe the sound as "tight" then you won't be correct then either. The Supernova is a passive radiator design which is still a Hemholtz Radiator just like a ported sub. It still has the drawbacks of all ported systems. Not to say that all ported subs are bad because they aren't. But no sub is perfect either. All subs are a compromise in design to meet the goals of the engineer.

-Robert
Originally Posted by bmxmen

I think it is good idea to buy used earthquake supernova, in 10 or 12' it will by fast to music and low to a videos.On ebay i have seen on ebay this sub.

bmxmen

Auditioning
Real Name
Kamil
iI have on my mind that the sub wil handle the music coz lots of subs play low but when the bas in the music need precision they just dont play great. I meen supernova cos they are low and not that bad in impuls.But there is no sub that have all of it so you must decide what will be better for you.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

iI have on my mind that the sub wil handle the music coz lots of subs play low but when the bas in the music need precision they just dont play great. I meen supernova cos they are low and not that bad in impuls.But there is no sub that have all of it so you must decide what will be better for you.
No offense man, but this isn't a text messaging room. Your post is barely legible, never mind understandable. Most of us strive to write full words and sentences here at HTF. You'd do well to follow the crowd and do the same. Spell check is your friend, embrace it.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I'm sorry, My english is very poor but I will try be better.Bye.
My apologies, I was not aware English is your second language. But please know the more understandable the post, the more we can deduce the questions and give answers.

Rotard12a

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Didn't want to start a new thread, but I am in the same situation though my budget is around 400. I recall a year or two ago that SVS and HSU were your two recommendations. Has HSU lost your stamp of approval?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks