What's new

Adding a set of speakers to B Zone (1 Viewer)

King Kontron

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Caldwell
Hi. I currently have a set of Yamaha speakers hooked up to the "B Zone" speaker output of my Yamaha RX-V663 receiver (different zone from my home theatre, meant for a different room/area). I want to see if I can hook up another set of speakers in that same room...an older set of Bose 100's.
I understand that I will need to hook the speakers up "in series" and understand how to do that. I also know that I need to figure out if the OHM ratings are compatible with the receiver amp or I can have problems. But I don't know how to figure this out. Can someone assist me.
The current set of speakers I have hooked up are spec'd out "Power up to 130 watts, nominal impedance 6 Ohms". The other set up speakers I would like to hook up in series with these are spec'd out "Rated 50W IEC, compatible with amps or receivers rated 10-80W per channel, rated 4-8 OHMS".
What specification am I evaluating in terms of my receiver to determine whether or not it is OK to hook both these speaker pairs up to that speaker zone?
Thank you!
Jeff

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
As long as you're hooking them up in series you don't have anything to worry about. The equation for the series connection is a simple addition, so 10-14 ohms (although usually a manufacturer gives one average rating). The Yamaha is rated for 8 ohms, so anything over that is not a problem, the only effect it has is to lower the volume a bit. If you were to connect them is parallel, that would decrease the resistance, and then if you went below 8 ohms you could damage your receiver (or cause it to shut down).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks