Adding a Separate Amplifier to an Integrated

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brian*_Le, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Brian*_Le

Brian*_Le Auditioning

I am considering adding a separate 5 channel amplifier to my current integrated Marantz SR 7000 receiver/amplifier using the Pre-Outs. I have been getting conflicting opinions on the merits of doing so. One retailer advised that by doing so I could potentially damage my receiver since there would be no load running through my Marantz to my speakers.

Any thoughts?

2. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Turn you're receiver's volume to zero ,and power it up. This is the same as bypassing the internal amps. Since no signal is sent to the receiver's internal amp when bypassed,the amp receives no signal and just idles.

3. Brian*_Le

Brian*_Le Auditioning

OK, Thanks however, I guess I am a bit confused. The separate 5 channel amp does not have any volume controls. Therefore if I turn down the volume on my Marantz, how do I control the volume.

Thanks,

Brian

4. Paul Bryan

Paul Bryan Agent

I'm no expert, but I've never heard of anything being damaged because of no load... too much load is a different story, but no load?. I took several electronics classes in college, and don't recall any amp designs that required a load to prevent damage...

For a more real-world example:
    I've been running an old Pro-logic reciever for over 10 years with usually only 2-speakers on it (On this model you can't disable the rear speaker outputs), I've had no problems, and the rear speakers outputs still work fine even though they haven't been driving speakers for a huge portion of thier life...

--Paul

5. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

Not having speakers attached is equivalent to an open circuit. With an open circuit, no current can flow, meaning that power output is zero. I don't see how the internal amps on the Marantz could be damaged if there is zero power output from them.

6. Tim_S

Tim_S Stunt Coordinator

1. If your receiver has pre-outs then it is set up for this. It will absolutely not be a problem.

2. There is no need to keep your volume down. As you were saying, the amplifier has no volume control. The one on your receiver will work as it di with the amps on the receiver.

My advice is to do it. I have a separate amp hooked up to my Denon receiver and have had it for a couple of years with no damage. I don't know why your dealer would say such a thing unless of course it is because he wants to sell you a new receiver instead of your buying an amp elsewhere. . .

Tim

7. Brian*_Le

Brian*_Le Auditioning

Thanks Tim,
    It's funny that you mention that. The retailer actually suggested that the better way to go is to get the 2 channel Anthem Int 2, run just my main speakers through the Anthem and use the analog outputs on my DVD player for 2 channel music through the Anthem. Oh and by the way, we have a great deal on our last demo Anthem - $2,000 Cdn.

I guess he had a hidden agenda.

Brian

8. Tim_S

Tim_S Stunt Coordinator

9. Brian*_Le

Brian*_Le Auditioning

Thanks Tim,
    OK, now you've really sparked my curiousity. Can you give me some more details about getting a DAC? Anybody have any suggestions for brands that I can get in Canada. My DVD player is a Pioneer Elite DVC36.

Brian

10. Tim_S

Tim_S Stunt Coordinator

A DAC connects between the source and the pre-amp. So you need a digital cable to connect there. The DAC outputs an anlog signal to your pre-amp which means you need a pair of analog cables for that connection.

There are a number of DAC's you can get. MSB has several different levels and I've hard good things about them. You can get them off of www.audioadvisor.com. Cheapest is about $500 I think and you can pay as much more as you want. Perpetual Technologies is another wel reveiewed one for about $800 I think. www.av123.com . I do recommend the modded DI/O though. Wayne at Bolder Cables does great work and can set you up quite well. You can buy one from http://www.fullcompass.com/ for I think about $130 and have it shipped straight to Wayne for mods if you like. The unmodded DAC will be a decent step up from your DVD player but the modded will definitely be better.

I don't think you would have problems getting these things shipped to Canada, but I'm not the best source of information for that. As to things available locally, I'm not thebest source of information for that either. . .

Tim

11. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

I think MarkO was just trying to point out how stupid the salesman's reasoning on the unloaded amp was.

12. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

Brian,go ahead and put an outboard amp in your system.It will work fine.My advice would be that you at least"DOUBLE" the power that your receiver puts out.A Rotel RMB-1095 is a very good choice. [​IMG]