Adding a Second Monitor.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren Lewis, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I've got the opportunity to add a second 17" monitor to my system. What's the best way to do this? I'm running Windows 2000 Pro SP2.

At the moment I've got an AGP Radeon 64Mb DDR card, and one free PCI slot (which I'd rather keep spare for later expansion).

Should I use this spare PCI slot and get a cheap PCI graphics card, or would it be easier to sell the Radeon and get a dual head card?

How do you setup the dual displays in Windows?

What are the good graphics cards these days?

I've got an Abit VP6 motherboard which has 4x AGP on it. I'm running a dual P3 866MHz system, so any new card must be able to handle dual processors OK.

Thanks.

2. Curtis Koenig

For Win2K this is the list of supported secondary PCI displays:
    - 3DFX Banshee
    - 3DFX Voodoo3, Voodoo4, Voodoo5
    - 3DLabs Permedia2, Permedia3
    - Matrox Millennium, Millennium II, Mystique, G100, G200, Productiva, G400, G450
    - Number Nine Imagine 128, Imagine128 v2, Revolution 3D, Revolution 4
    - Nvidia NV3 (Riva128)
    - Nvidia NV4, NV5 (TNT, TNT2, TNT2, TNT2 Ultra, TNT2 Vanta, TNT2 M64, Geforce)
    All you need do is install the card and then go to the display properties. On the Settings tab you will see 2 windows for the 2 displayes. Highlight the new display and put a check mark in "Extend my Windows destop onto this monitor". This will then turn on the display card and you can set its resolution. You can also drag the display box around so you can have the second monitor on the left, right top or bottom (this also affects which part of the primary monitor the mouse scrolls off of onto the secondary monitor).
    Also take a look at:
    Q238886 HOW TO: How to Set Up and Troubleshoot Multiple Monitors in Wind

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Another means is to get a DualHead Radeon video card. I recently got the Radeon VE for my Win98 machine, and it works well. There is a newer Radeon 7500 (?) DualHead as well, which has better performance for 3D games (if that's important).

There are also the TwinView GeForce2 MX and dual display Matrox G400 cards.

Assuming these cards work under Win2K, this might be easier than hunting down a compatible PCI video card, and then installing it.

4. Darren Lewis

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking that a dual-head card will be much easier to sort out.

I mainly use the machine for internet and office stuff (often with mulitple apps open at the same time). I do like the odd game (eg Comanche 4) so I'd like a good 3D card.

I've only heard of the dual-head Matrox cards so I'll have to have a look at the others.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

6. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Nvidia is the only way to go! The quadro cards they make can not be beaten! They are professional cards so they do cost a little more, but the performance is jaw dropping. A dual monitor card is definitely the only way to go, it will save you many headaches.

As far as matrox cards go, they have been making dual monitor cards for a long time and they are pretty reliable for that. But they are still pretty hit and miss with 3D apps. They seem to always have poor performance for the most popular games...in my experience.

Nick L

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

8. Darren Lewis

Thanks again for the help. Money is an object and gaming is not so important to me so it looks like I'll be looking for the Radeon VE.

Are any of the newer Radeon cards (7500 or 8500) dual head. It says that they come with the software?

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Yes, I saw when getting my VE that one of the newer ones (7500 I think) is DualHead. ATI's website might have the info you need (I found it hard to find stuff on, though).
    I believe the DualHead 7500 card was around $160 at my local CompUSA, last Fall. The VE was about $90. I imagine you can get them cheaper with some effort, if you care to.
    [EDIT]
    The 7500 is the newer one with dual monitor support:
    http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products/pc/radeon_7500/

10. Darren Lewis

Whoever designs ATI's website should be shot! It's difficult to navigate and specific information hard to find.

The 8500 also has the dual support