Adding a SATA drive for data

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Keith Paynter, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I've done some searching on the forum about using SATA drives, and I'm still a bit stumped. If you are using a RAID device, you need to install the driver off the motherboard during the installation of Windows XP. How can you do this after XP is installed?

I am (hopefully going to be) using a 250GB SATA drive for all video rendering, but since the SATA driver was never installed during the XP setup, how do I do it now?

2. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

just install the driver after you install the drive. the chipset should detect a sata drive when you post at bootup,windows should prompt you for a driver then.

3. Keith Paynter

Tried to install, Windows will not load the device driver. Got the yellow alert on the Devioce Manager hardware list.

I updated the BIOS, installed the most current drivers from the Albatron website. No luck. I may have to invest in a RAID SATA PCI card...[​IMG]

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Huh. I just installed the SATA driver on my SOYO motherboard, and plugged in the drive, and it worked; I get the impression that it's only necessary to install the driver at the time of OS installation if you're going to be installing onto a SATA drive.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Just use Windows XP Service Pack 2. It has the SATA drivers pre-installed. I installed XP just fine onto an sata drive three days ago.

If you only have the original XP install CD you can download the SP2 install file (~266mb) and slipstream it into your XP CD, then make a new install CD-R which will install XP SP2 right off the bat.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

How many drives are you using? The original post sounds like you're using one -- in which case RAID is irrelevent

7. Keith Paynter

I had 2 IDE drives - the second one packed it in after 2-1/2 years 24/7. The SATA drive will replace the one that has passed on.

I had a PCI IDE card, so I could replace it with a combo serial ATA/IDE ATA one.