What's new

Adding a rear center speaker (1 Viewer)

James_C

Agent
This may be a stupid question (I'm new), but can I add a rear center speaker to my 5.1 system some how??? Can this be done with just a simple wiring solution or do I have to buy more equipment???

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
You would still need a preamp/processor or receiver to decode the center surround channel. You could also look into separate stand alone center surround decoders like the CS-3x jr made by ADA. I hope I called it the right thing.

NathanP

Supporting Actor
James,
Good question, not stupid!
Here's what you do.
(BTW, this is called Dolby 6.1 ES)
Go from left and right Surround Outs on your reciever to line in on a Dolby Pro-logic Processor or reciever and plug an extra center in there.
Select the Pro-Logic function on your pro-logic reciever and hear the extra rear go!
For more info (from smarter people) just do a simple search on HTF for DIY 6.1 or Dolby 6.1
Good Luck,
Nathan

J

John Morris

James: you also must have rear channel pre-outs on your current receiver. If you want to try it, I'd look for a used inexpensive Dolby Pro Logic surrround Processor. That way, if you don't like it, you haven't spend a couple hundred bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks