Adding a rear center speaker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_C, Nov 20, 2001.

1. James_C

James_C Agent

This may be a stupid question (I'm new), but can I add a rear center speaker to my 5.1 system some how??? Can this be done with just a simple wiring solution or do I have to buy more equipment???

2. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    You would still need a preamp/processor or receiver to decode the center surround channel. You could also look into separate stand alone center surround decoders like the CS-3x jr made by ADA. I hope I called it the right thing.

3. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

James,
    Good question, not stupid!
    Here's what you do.
    (BTW, this is called Dolby 6.1 ES)
    Go from left and right Surround Outs on your reciever to line in on a Dolby Pro-logic Processor or reciever and plug an extra center in there.
    Select the Pro-Logic function on your pro-logic reciever and hear the extra rear go!
    For more info (from smarter people) just do a simple search on HTF for DIY 6.1 or Dolby 6.1
    Good Luck,
    Nathan

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

James: you also must have rear channel pre-outs on your current receiver. If you want to try it, I'd look for a used inexpensive Dolby Pro Logic surrround Processor. That way, if you don't like it, you haven't spend a couple hundred bucks.