Adding a powered subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tony Craig, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Tony Craig

Tony Craig Extra

I think I want to add a powered sub to my system. I know very little about them. I have a modest HT including a Pioneer digital signal processor and Bose Acoustimass 6 speakers with a passive sub. I found out that Bose does not offer a matching powered sub.

I'm looking for suggestions and hopefully in the $200-$300 range.

Edit - Wow, I didn't know Bose was so bad. Just shows you that tin ears like me can enjoy low end stuff. It must be obvious by my hardware choices that I am budgeted and not in the market for high end items.

2. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Tony,
    Please don't get discouraged, but you will get a flood of comments to ditch the Bose system in favor of "brand X." (DO a search on Bose and you'll see what I mean.)
    Stick with it and you will get some very valuable and knowedgeable hints at what you can do.
    I'm not sure you can do to hook up to the cubes but I'm sure someone will.
    I have recently purchased a sub from Parts Express (the Daton 10""), that receives some high marks on this forum, although inexpensive.

3. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

I'm also quite happy with My Dayton 10" 100 watt sub from Parts Express. Great budget sub. Got mine on sale for $99.95. Just last week it was on sale for $110 I think.

brad cook

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Check out the Hsu STF-1. Also, there's an STF-2 on Ebay right now with a Buy It Now of about $320.

5. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

BUMP,
    Can anyone maybe help him out to hook up his cubes to whatever sub he gets?
    I dont think he'd want to hook them up as mains and set his speakers to small... and if he went to the hi pass side of the sub, I'd think there would be something missing in the mid-ranges.
    Tony, if you got an inexpensive sub, like the Dayton, would you be able to afford a decent set of bookshelves?

6. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

Having been a FORMER Bose owner, thanks HTF, all you need to do is let me know if you have a sub out on your amp/receiver. If so then run your bose setup just as you are now and connect the sub to the sub out on your receiver. Enable the sub out on your receiver and run your main speakers set to large. If you have no sub out then there is not really a good solution because the Bose system filters all of the signals to the main speaker using the bass cube. The only bypass is to run your main left and right front channels from the receiver to the powered sub you purchase and then from the sub to the bose bass cube. It will work just fine either way but I prefer having my receiver handle the powered subs crossover via the sub out. Hope this helps.

7. Tony Craig

Tony Craig Extra

I do have a sub woofer preout; therefore, I'll just leave the Bose system alone and add the PSW thru the receiver. Thanks for your assistance.

8. Tony Craig

Tony Craig Extra

OK, now that my education has begun...what is the recommended frequency response? Is there a standard? The system is used for music (background, not parties) and movies.

9. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

What is your receiver? 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1? Room size? You said you had a Pioneer processor, integrated AVR or separate from your receiver?
    You can get quite a nice sounding system for relatively low cost. Maybe get a nice set of front bookshelves, a center, and use the Bose as rears for now, then upgrade later as needed.
    The possibilities are endless... If you get bookshelves and a center channel, and a sub now, you can get towers later and move your bookshelves to rear duty... then two subs... then...

10. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

If you're happy with your system other than wanting a subwoofer don't let others talk you into purchasing other things. As for frequency response, for movies you would ideally want it to go strong down to about 20Hz. For music you most likely wouldn't need below about 30Hz. What price range are you looking at? Below $500 you should look at Hsu or the $100 Dayton sub. Above $500 look at Hsu and SVS unless you want to shell out some serious cash.

11. Tony Craig

Tony Craig Extra

Pioneer VSX-D509S 5.1 integrated receiver with 100W/channel front, surround and center channel, Panasonic DVD-CV36 5 disc changer, Toshiba Cinema Series CN32C90 monitor, Bose Acoustimass 6 series II speakers. Room is @10x25 with openings at each corner with floor to 8 ft ceiling brick fireplace centered on one long wall. Hardwood floors. Anything else matter?

12. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I think your current set up of course will benefit from a PSW, and the suggestions made are quite good ones. Either subs, the Dayton, HSU, Harman Kardon has a 12" powered sub with 150 watts for 349.00 I believe will fill the room adequately.