What's new

Adding a power plug to an ATI 8500 (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I made the mistake of cracking open my PC case today, and noticed (for the first time) that there is a socket on the rear of this board for a mini power plug.

But I couldn't find anything in the manuals that even mentioned it. Is that what it is and has anyone hooked it up? (I can see it being for something else, and watching it smoke!)

Glenn

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I seem to have read something about this. I was considering the same thing, because my 8500 has started acting very strangely (weird artifacts) and my research has suggested a power issue. Anybody know?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Wow! Thanks Dave, I was beginning to worry. How about this - if it isn't for that, what else could it be for?

Glenn

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I finally found some reference to the power plug. Is your 8500 an all-in-wonder?

http://mirror.ati.com/support/connec...wirepower.html

From a review of the 8500DV:

http://www.mrpcpro.com/reviews/0009/page6.shtml

I swear my 8500 has one of these too, but it's not an AIW or a DV card...it's a 64MB Radeon 8500 (non-LE)...it's hard to find info on my particular configuration, as it isn't really very common.

I think I will actually try hooking up a spare floppy power cable to the connector, and see if it helps my problem. The card is already pointless anyway as-is. Can't get much worse.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yep, that must be it Dave. the reason I asked was because their newer boards have standard sockets on them, and they can drain a power supply, and if you have enough crap connected, you'll not get the maximum output from your card.

Some people have even added a second AT power supply (which doesn't need any connections to the motherboard to work) to their PC's, giving the card an extra boost.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks