What's new

adding a pc to home theater system (1 Viewer)

kbond29

Auditioning
Real Name
Kris
I would like to connect a desktop PC to my home theater system to be able to view webcast video on my projector.

I have an avialable DVI port on my projector.

Could someone recommend a video card to use with DVI output and

also give me some insight on connecting audio to my 6.1 receiver.

Do I need a special sound card?

thanks!!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Many modern PC Video cards have HDMI outputs which carry both Video and Audio. This would be the best way to make your connection from your PC to your receiver, as both video and sound would be carried.

Although I do not use it my ATI Radeon 4850 which is over a year old has an HDMI output.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
An HDMI signal is easily converted to DVI with an adapter widely available for under $10 or you can get an HDMI to DVI cable (also widely available) but I suggest the adapter just in case you upgrade to an HDMI projector in the future and then all you have to do is remove the adapter -- most modern/current video cards have HDMI out. DVI was simply an early version of digital video.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I would go HDMI to your receiver and then HDMI from your receiver to an HDMI to DVI converter into your projector. That way you can control your audio with your receiver and then continue the video to your projector. As Phil stated this will help future proof yourself for when you get a projector with an HDMI in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks