What's new

adding a light for the doorbell (1 Viewer)

ace peterson

Second Unit
Has anyone wired up their doorbell so it flashes a light in your HT while you're blaring the music or movies? I currently have a flashing light that will alert me that the telephone is ringing. I love it. There should be something similar for doorbells hadn't there?
Anyone done this in their theater?
I know where my doorbell unit is, and should be able to run some kind of low-voltage wire into the theater with no troubles. But where can I get a doorbell light and what kind do I get? Radio Shack?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ace,
The doorbell unit is nothing but a transformer. All you need to do is get a voltmeter and determine the voltage output and whether it is DC or AC. Then you can choose an appropriate bulb.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Yes Ace, I had my electrician when building my house run a wire from the door bell to my future (now completed) theater. I run a 12v automotive lamp on it and it works great. I installed it up in the front left corner of the room. I have mentioned it here several times but know one seemed to care.
rolleyes.gif

The telephone would have been a good idea also!
Wes

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
So perhaps a better feature would be a light at the front door that lights up and reads "Enjoying movies at their best. Go away!" when you're watching a movie.
wink.gif

I think there would be a bit of a problem just hooking up a light to the door bell tranformer. That is that the light would only glow while the person is holding down the botton. If you happen to have your head turned for that moment then you'll miss it. A better solution would be to have a simple circuit that uses the voltage input from the doorbell as a trigger input and causes the light to blink on and off for about 30 seconds or so. It's not too hard to design or build such a circuit. Any electrical engineering college student could come up with something in just a few hours. And the parts can be bought from any Radio Shack. In fact, you could probably find a circuit design on the internet.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I'd take the lazy way out and go down to Totem and get one of those doorbells for the hard of hearing that rings and flashes at the same time.
jeremy

ace peterson

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies. I was monkeying around with it yesterday and was able to determine that 12V was indeed the output from the transformer. I bought a cheap 4 watt bulb and it lights whenever the doorbell is pushed. It didn't have a voltage rating on the package. I would think that it could handle 12 volts, but what do I know... It didn't explode when I help the doorbell in for 10-15 seconds straight?? Someone mentioned that a 12V car lamp would work. That's a good idea, then I'd know for sure.
Bill, I like your idea about the light flashing for 30 seconds or so. I can see where that would be a problem if I had my head turned the instant someone pushed the doorbell. How would I search for a plan about that on the net since I am not an electrical engineer.
I also wired up a second doorbell chime in the hall outside the theater, so that might help if I had the door open.
My mom stopped by the house a few days ago and we were down in the theater messing around. This was before I had the 2nd doorbell hooked up... We always keep the doors locked and she was a knockin' and nobody answered the doorbell. We can't hear a thing down there. We told her that we would even be home, and she lives an hour away. Needless to say she was pretty mad.

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Go to a car audio shop. Viper (DEI Electronics) sells an Pulse T Timer that will work. It takes a 12 volt "pulse" and lets you set a time 1 second to 90 seconds latched output. In other work you press the door bell and depending on how long you set it the light will remain on. They are around $20.
Also seen them in JC Whitney catalog a long time ago
------------------
Luke, I'm your father

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Another thing. I would set it for 5 seconds or so. If you set it for 90 sec and they hit the doorbell again it will turn off. You may be in the can or reading something and miss the first ding.
------------------
Luke, I'm your father

Luke_Y

Second Unit
I am thinking that there has to be something out there for the hearing impaired that would be easy to work.
------------------
Luke

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks