What's new

Adding a DAC for DVD player (1 Viewer)

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Recently I bought an Onkyo SP800 DVD player. I find that the player did not sound good when playing cds. So I was thinking of adding an external DAC for the DVD player to listen to CD.
However, because of limited funding. I am buying a secondhand DAC. There were two different one that was offered to me.

1. Parasound DAC 1100 HD
2. Creek Audio OBH -14.

The creek is a little bit less in price than the parasound, but can anyone suggests to me which one is better and is it worth upgrading an external DAC?

I notice that my Onkyo DVD player said that it has a 192KHz/24 Bit DAC. But to be honest, it did not sound good when playing CD.

David Judah

Screenwriter

It just goes to show that the numbers aren't everything--implementation is more important.

About how much are these DAC's going to cost you? You should balance the cost of the outboards vs. a dedicated CD or SACD player that doesn't have an attached video section. You might be able to find a deal on a stand alone unit. It's something to consider, anyways.

That said, I'm sure either one of those units you listed will improve CD performance, since with PCM, the converters will make or break sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks