Adding 5.1 to 2.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricMen, Mar 17, 2003.

1. EricMen

EricMen Auditioning

How does one incorporate a HT setup and the associated decoding to a 2-channel integrated amp system?

I am planning to create a phantom center channel, so if I added another 2-channel integrated amp and a DVD player that included the decoding like say the Denon 3800 (or any one of many), would that work?

I obviously would like to use the speakers and amp I already have, just unsure how to accomplish this.

Thank you in advance,

Eric

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

To get 5.1, you either have (common ways)

A. A receiver with 6-channel inputs and a DVD player that does the DTS/DD decoding. This would be in the case of an older receiver/shelf system that may, for example, only have pro logic. In this case, analog cables are connected from the 6-ch output on the DVD player to the 6-ch input on the receiver.

B. DVD is connected to receiver via 1 optical cable.

I believe there are external decoders available, but I don't have any experience with them and don't know exactly how they work or if/how they would be integrated into your system.

3. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

What you propose would work but matching the volume levels for the front & rear amps & sub would be a PITA [​IMG] (unless the DVD player has an internal volume control).

It would be easier to get a cheap receiver that has preouts (or make lineouts) so you can use the receiver as a source for the 2 channel amp to drive the fronts and use the receivers amps for the rears. Then you only have to calibrate the receiver for a reference volume setting on your 2 channel amp and just set the amp to that volume whenever using the system for HT.

4. EricMen

EricMen Auditioning

Thanks for the responses so far.

Craig, I didn't think of the volume issue. That would be a PITA. What if the int. amps were identical (or at least same brand/manufacture) and you could control them with one remote?

I don't mind your suggestion of the receiver as the rear amp and processor, although I was sort of trying to justify purchasing the Denon DVD 3800.

Is anyone using any of the above options? Or am I nuts and should suck it up an purchase a pre/pro designed for HT or a 5/6 channel pre amp?

5. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

You could use identical amps off the same remote but there's still the sub.

As for the rest, it all depends on how much you want to spend. Personally, I think receivers are all you need for HT. If you are into multichannel SACD or DVD-A, then that's a different story.