Adding 2 CH. amp to the 5760

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by johnny..bon, May 17, 2004.

1. johnny..bon

johnny..bon Second Unit

John
    I'm thinking of adding a Onkyo M-282 2 channel power Amp (100w x 2) to a Yamaha 5760 in a 7.1 setup. I have JBL S-38's as mains. Will this be an improvement in the sound of my mains (If so how much of an improvement) and since the 5760 will not be powering my mains will it leave it with more power to power the other speakers. I figure since the 5760 power consumption is 400 watts (400 divided by 7 = 57 watts/ channel) in a 7.1 setup while 400 divided by 5 = 80 watts/channel with all channels driven in a 5.1 setup. The Onkyo M-282 power consumption is 300 watts. Is this thinking correct.

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Using less internal amps will mean less power being drawn from the receiver's power supply.

The "improvement" should be measured qualitatively not quantitatively. Forget doing math. Math is useless when it comes to audio. If you can't hear a difference, all the math in the world won't make a difference.

3. kevin tate

kevin tate Stunt Coordinator

I am using my amps for the front and center speakers. The clarity has improved. The clarity also improved when I tried it with just the two front speakers driven by the amp, and the rest of the speakers driven by the receiver. I highly recommend an amp to drive your front speakers.

4. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

I also have a 5760 and I think the next thing I add to my setup will also be a good 2 channel amp for the front left and right. Right now I am heavely leaning towards either an Adcom GFA-555 or spending a little more and getting a couple of the Outlaw 200w monoblocks. The few systems I have heard that have seperate amplification were just simply "on the next level", there just was no comparision to a reciever in terms of dynamics, clearity and output IMO