Addicted to Oil

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkMel, Jun 27, 2006.

1. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Anyone see this Discovery show? What did you think? Doesn't look like hydrogen is the solution. The energy required to make the H is enormous.

E85 looks interesting. What's up with the 100% import tax on E85? There are countries that want to export to us but at 100% tax? Also that grass the he showed looks much more promising than corn. I guess the push for corn has something to do with the subsidies?

The carbon fiber car parts segment was interesting. That seems like a solution to improve gas mileage now if the costs of carbon fiber could be kept in check. Also too bad that the production of carbon fiber is having trouble keeping up with demand.

2. Matt_A

Matt_A Stunt Coordinator

I've been using Biodiesel in my VW TDI for a couple of years. I usually fill with B20, though occasionally I have to fill with regular diesel. I've had no ill effects that I can see. Personally, I think it's a better solution than E85 in that you don't use more to achieve the same power/distance/etc.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I haven't seen the show, but there's a long thread about energy here somewhere. Hydrogen is impossible on all kinds of levels.

We need to maximize renewable energy that we can get without burning stuff.

Bottom line, the only energy source that can grow massively without spewing CO2 into the atmosphere in copious amounts is nuclear. If we continue to have cars they must be electric.

4. Greg Dorsey

Greg Dorsey Extra

More fuel efficient cars are what we need, not more E85 vehicles.

The show fell short when it came to ethanol. Ethanol requires more energy to create than it produces (and that's before you consider the fertilizer and fuel consumed by the machinery used to produce corn and to transport the finished ethanol. Brazil's energy independence is held up as a beacon of ethanol's success. But it turns out Brazil's success is due mostly to their developing offshore oil fields, their significantly lower wages, their using higher energy content sugar cane and--most importantly--the fact that on a per capita basis they consume only a tiny fraction of what we in the US or the typical OECD nation uses. Ethanol will never amount to more than a tiny fraction of the motor fuel we use in this country.

Ethanol is a political solution and only is in use because of substantial government subsidies. Biodiesel, on the other hand, looks interesting.