Added sub - no difference?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan F, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Alan F

Alan F Auditioning

I quickly set up my new sub (Sony SAWM-40 - this is an el cheapo HT setup, don't ask) this morning before running off to work (couldn't wait). Switched my mains (KEF C40s) from "large" to "small", turn SW to "on", turn sub crossover to 170, sub vol to 1/2, popped in Avia and ran the subwoofer calibration segment(adjust sub so alternate pink noise between left main and sub both are 70db on SPL meter), ending up with sub at +1. Didn't get to checking phase.

Then I went to the start of the Dolby Digital story section on the Avia disk and listened to the intro demo of the train pulling out. Well, it didn't really sound any different than it did before . . . .

Is this the sub being overwhelmed by the room (probably 20 x 30, cathedral ceiling), or just no especial lows in the demo? Or is it just that the vol was too low for the bass to really kick? On the other hand, maybe it's good that the bass doesn't jump out at you.

As I said, I had to run off to work, so I didn't get to do any more listening, video or music. I'm going to check it out with T2 this weekend, and think of some good bottom-heavy music to compare with, but I just had to get my initial letdown off my chest.

Thanks for listening.

Alan

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Listen to the same stuff while standing or sitting in different spots, if you haven't already.

If I lean forward 2 feet, by bass level (average) can go up 3-6db...

- CM

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Alan,

First welcome to the Forum!

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

20x30 cathedral ceilings?? YOu're going to need some SVS to pressurize that kind of space [​IMG]

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

These guys have nailed it so far. You're experiencing an issue of a large room vs a poor sub. The WAM40 for a smaller room maybe better but for such a large room you are gonna have to pull out the wallet and get something better.

There will be alot of folks who might go against the grain in this post and say "MY WAM40 produces alot of bass for my large room". ANd I'll respond you've never heard good quality bass then. I've heard the Sony sub in my room and it is exactly what its worth($150).

6. Alan F

Alan F Auditioning

Thanks for replies, everyone. I was afraid of the "cheap sub in large room" factor. As much as I'd love to get something "beefier", the S.O. thinks I'm nuts to spend even $150 on a sub (snide remarks about men and their toys). Oh well.

Alan

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Ask her how many kinds of face cream she has, then go buy an SVS. [​IMG]