Added New HDD & Ultra ATA Card

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Lund, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Jeff Lund

Jeff Lund Stunt Coordinator

But I need some help. First, I'm running Win2K Pro on a 1.8Ghz P4 machine, with 1GB RAM. I bought a SIIG UltraATA PCI card and it installed perfectly. Then I installed the Maxtor 120GB HDD. When my system boots, I see the card recognizes the HDD since it is listed on one of the channels. Then I went into Device Manager and saw the new HDD listed in the Disk Drives section. But the drive does not show up in Windows Explorer or anywhere else for that matter. So I can't use it. What do I need to do for my HDD to show up so I can start storing data there?
    One other thing I just thought of: my Abit mobo supports RAID. I suppose I could just bypass the ATA card and hook the HDD up to the RAID channel, right? If that works, what would I have to do to get it to work?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Right-click on My Computer, select Manage
    When Computer Mangement comes up, go to Disk Mangement. You should see the physical drives. From there you can create the partion(s) and format.

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

You would not be able to hook this drive up to the Raid channel without setting up a Raid array... For now the reasons that I can think that is doesnt show up under your my computer is that you should format and partition that drive as an NTFS volume.

KyleS

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Rob beat me to it.. We must have been typing at the same time. Damn he must be a faster typist. [​IMG]
    KyleS

5. Jeff Lund

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Rob & Kyle, thanks for the info!!! When I tried hooking up the new HDD to the RAID channel, W2K recognized it but as a SCSI drive, which is odd. So I hooked it up to the UltraATA card again.
    BUT I ran into another issue of course. Here's what happened: I right clicked on My Computer, selected Manage, and saw a Unknown Disk Drive. When I viewed its Properties, I verified it is the new HDD. The problem is that it is a 120GB HDD but W2K only sees it as 31.49GB unallocated. So now what gives? BTW, when I right click on the new HDD, the option for Create Partition is grayed out as well. DOH!!!
    I really do appreciate the assistance. You guys are life savers.

6. Glenn L

Glenn L Stunt Coordinator

Lots of RAID controllers pretend to be SCSI controllers, so that's fairly normal.

As for the 120GB vs 31.49GB problem... if this were a problem with the on-board IDE controller, the first thing I'd check is how the harddrive is addressed (LBA vs Linear). I'd change those around to see which one works. I don't know how to do this with a PCI card.

7. Jeff Lund

Well, I was able to add the HDD as a simple Volume. Win2K formatted it and assigned a drive letetr to it but only at 31.49GB. When I look at Computer Management where it lists my HDD's, it has the new one listed as Disk 0, where the others are listed as Disk 1 & Disk 2. So now I'm really confused. I'm not sure if the IDE cable makes a difference on which connection it is attached to since there's 2. Plus, one end is colored red and I hooked that up to the UltraATA card.
    Any suggestions on how to resolve this mess is greatly appreciated.

8. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Ok jeff lets see here how you have your computer configured...

First why did you buy another controller card? Are both your Master and Slave IDE1 and Master and Slave on IDE 2 on the motherboard used already and if so with what?

How are your partitions formatted, Fat32, NTFS? If they are Fat32 then this Could explain the 34GB size.

Your original HD with the OS will be your IDE 1 Master drive and then I would recommend moving the new HD as Master of IDE 2 on the motherboard. Take any CD drives that were slaves and set them up on the additional IDE card that you just installed.

As far as the cable goes you will see 3 connections. 2 are closer together on the cable then the 3rd. The one that is by itself will hook up to the motherboard or IDE controller and is usually colored (but not always). The 2 at the other end of the cable will hook to the master and slave drives. The end connection of the 2 will hook up to the master and the inbetween will hook up to the slave. If the drive is all by itself then hook it up as a CS (jumpers on the back of the drive) and it will go on the end of the IDE cable.

Let us know about your configuration and remember that if you move drives around you may need to change their CS/Master/Slave jumpers on the back of the drives.

As far as the HD only showing up as a 34GB? HD I would say that it is possible when you partitioned the drive you may not have selected to have it partition as 1 large partition or you could have accidently just made a partition of that size. I would recommend checking in the disk manager to make sure you dont have additional partitions on that drive that have not been formatted as of yet.

KyleS

9. Glenn L

Glenn L Stunt Coordinator

What'd you format as, FAT32 or NTFS? FAT32 will only support sizes up to 32GB.

10. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yes, that 34gig limit is bothering me too. I'd go into fdisk. exe. The first think it asks is if you have hard drives.

Your system might have defaulted to 'no', and that would explain it. Please try that out.

Glenn

11. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Did you try using the cd that came with the maxtor drive to test the drive?