What's new

Added another HDD and... (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
The OS doesn't have anything to do with fdisk, except for the fact that Microsoft wrote both, fdisk comes with the OS, and in the case of Windows 2000 and Windows XP, the only way to partition a hard drive (what fdisk does) is to put the OS's bootable CD-ROM and let it boot up your computer and start the Windows setup until it gets to the point where it asks you how you want your drives set up, with what partition sizes and what file system, etc.
You don't need an installed OS to do it, and as you said, you can disconnect that drive, and in fact, that is what I would do before doing something like this. Just to eliminate the chance that I accidentally partition the wrong drive! :)
Now I realize you're not using Windows 2000 or XP, so if you need a boot disk, check out www.bootdisk.com .
Wayne Bundrick, I'm not worried about losing the 8MB of space, I'm just curious to know why it's being reserved. Your explanation of partitions in 8MB increments doesn't really apply, because for one thing, it's not a SCSI drive, but mainly, if it had to be in 8MB increments, then either there would be no leftover space (total size of the drive was a multiple of 8MB), or else whatever space was left over would never be 8MB, but 7MB or less. In what I'm talking about, the reserved space is always exactly 8MB.

AllenD

Second Unit
*crossingfingers*
Alright, I just DLded current bios. Original was 1006.a was saved. New bios should be 1009. This is my first time flashing bios. I've read everything I can find. Hopefully I have all the tools I need. Wish me luck!
*wavesbyebyewhilecrossingfingers* :eek: :confused:

AllenD

Second Unit
Thanks Rob.
I'm back so it didn't completely go wrong. It's still only showing as a 32gig drive under the new and only available Link Removed :angry: I don't know what else to try at this point so I'll try email support. If you have any other suggestions, let me know.
thanks!

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Sorry I didn't realize this earlier...but I have the exact same motherboard as you do! And as I believe I mentioned, I'm using a 120GB hard drive. I don't have any problems, obviously. So, I can safely say for a fact that your motherboard should be able to work with a large hard drive. Now it's just a question of making it.

I'll be back in a few minutes to let you know how my hard drive is set up in the BIOS...

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Well, I thought I remembered that I had to manually setup my hard drive in the BIOS, but I was wrong. I have it set to auto-detect. Why it can auto-detect my hdd, which is a WD, and not yours, which is an IBM, is beyond me. We both have the same motherboard and the same BIOS revision (1009).

Do you have it set to auto-detect, too? It's a dumb idea, but I just want to make sure you haven't got it manually set to the wrong settings.

AllenD

Second Unit
I have my BIOS set at AUTO. One thing I did realize was fixed disk #1 says system is FAT32 while fixed disk #2's system is unknown under fdisk. Could this be a clue? I also noticed in the bios that the primary master shows the exact name of the HDD while the secondary master shows a different number than the HDD model. Dunno if this means anything...

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I have some IBM drives that show funky numbers in the BIOS instead of a recognizable model number.

I have a CUSL2 (the earlier model with built-in video) and I've never had a problem with 60 GB drives, so I don't think there's a 32GB barrier here. But I'm running Windows 2000.

Are you running FDISK from a DOS window or by booting an startup floppy? I don't think it makes a difference but it might.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Allen,
Purely as an experiment, swap the hard drives over. Put drive 2 onto IDE channel 1 and vice versa. Boot up, go into the BIOS and see what size disks it reports.

AllenD

Second Unit
I'm running fdisk under DOS via boot disk. If you can check what does it say in fdisk when you display partitions. I think it's option 4. The WD is showing as SYSTEM FAT32 while the IBM is showing "Unknown." I have full access to it in windows, BTW. Don't know why it would say "Unknown" since I enabled large disk support...

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The 'unknown' sounds like there are either no partitions defined or the process didn't work correct before.

The 'large disk support' only refers to using FAT32 instead of the old FAT16 file system.

AllenD

Second Unit
Before I open the case, I wanted to check IBM's site for any info. There's a download available calledDisk Manager 2000 which should fix the "drive capacity limitation" problem I'm having. I've downloaded it, followed the PRODECURE and the drive still reports the wrong capacity. AAAARRRRGH! The silver lining is if I ever install more drives I'll be able to use DM2k and not have to use FDISK in the future. :emoji_thumbsup: Download it for yourself. It's a great tool! I'll try swapping primary w/secondary master. I'll also try cable select, after dinner. Any other ideas???

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Did you check the drive for a 32gb compatibility jumper? That is, make sure it is NOT jumpered to 32GB mode. Some >32GB drives have this "feature".

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
In addition to that jumper, the drive could be limited to 32GB by its firmware. Download the IBM Feature Tool from the same web page as the Disk Manager 2000 and Drive Fitness Test. The Feature Tool lets you change various settings on the drive's firmware, such as acoustic management and read/write cache. On some IBM drives this software also lets you limit the drive's capacity to 8GB of 32GB. I'd use this tool to make sure that the capacity is set at the maximum.

AllenD

Second Unit
Finally! I can create a DM2K boot disk. In DOS mode I was able to set driver size w/the utility. First I had to set NONE for the secondary master, boot w/the DM2K disk, then go through thisPROCEDURE. I'm not exactly sure what it does w/the BIOS or the drive but it's fixed.
What a long day! Thanks for all the help. You guys have been a tremendous source of support today!

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
It's odd that they're calling it a BIOS limitation, when I have the exact same motherboard, same BIOS revision, and have had no problems using my WD 120GB hard drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks