Added another HDD and...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AllenD, Jun 13, 2002.

1. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

the 120GXP is only giving me 32Gig!?!?! It should be around 123! Here's what I did to install it: I installed the HDD to my HTPC as secondary master, ran fdisk, I enabled large disk support (FAT 32), selected secondary fixed disk, created Primary DOS Partition, selected yes to allocate maximum amount of disk space since I don't want to partition the HDD. What I don't remember is fdisk ever asked what amount, in percent or in Megabytes, I wanted for the Primary DOS Partition. What did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance!

BTW: After fdisk, I formatted the disk in Windows which only took about 2 seconds, and scan disk took over 3 hrs. (over 2.1M clusters). Does that sound right?

HTPC:
    Windows ME OS (updated 98 original version)
    ASUS CUSL2-C (original bios)
    PIII 800 retail
    256MB crucial memory CAS2 I think
    WD 300BB (5 and 25gig partitions)

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Please excuse me if any of my questions sound stupid, but I just have to ask.

First, under system properties, the HDD should be recognized correctly. If not, go into your bios, because something isn't right there.

Two, you neglected to mention if this was new or used. If it was used, the other 100gigs might be on an NTFS format.

I'd also redo fdisk, and check the amounts this time. It it doesn't read 123 or so, go back and find out what happened to the rest of it!

Glenn

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Your Bios probably can't support drives that big. I believe beyond 100 and something GB you have to partition

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You need to be creating NTFS partitions if you want to see over 100GB on that HD. Fat32 will limit you to 32MB partitions. You need Windows2000 or XP (don't know why anyone would be running NT4.0 nowadays at home) as the operating system.

I think the largest single partition size limit is around 138GB (It should say on the box - check the 160GB HD boxes, I'm sure there's some info on them).

5. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Thanks everyone!
    Patrick, you just reminded me of that FAT32 rule. Partitioning into several drives would somewhat benefit me since I'll be using the drive to record HD on it. I can divide and name them by station call letters such as CBS-HD, ABC-HD, NBC-HD, and hopefully WB-HD. [​IMG]

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

FAT32 is not limited to 32gb. I use a single 45gb HD formatted in FAT32 in a removable bay for backup purposes and I've used bigger partitions than that in the past.

Windows XP and 2000 will not format a 32gb+ FAT 32 partition, but they are quite happy to mount and use one if it has been prepared in DOS or Windows 98.Me. The reason is because FAT becomes a bit innefficient at those sizes and MS is just trying to steer people to use NTFS.

Glenn is on the right track. Go into the BIOS and see how it recognises the drive. If the mobo really can't recognise a 32gb+ drive, then I doubt it would matter what the file system was. BIOS is looking at the hardware. I doubt the Asus has this limitation, but you need to check. It might be something that can be overcome with a BIOS update.

If the BIOS is seeing the physical drive at it's correct size, go through the FDISK procedure again and see what is going on. Choose the option to display current partition informat before you do anything. It could be that FDISK has a size limitation - I can't remember as I haven't used FDISK in two years. If this is the case I can sort you out with an alternative.

You may also want to consider not using a Primary DOS partition. The reason is that DOS (i.e. Windows ME) assigns drive letters in a strict order and Primary partitions come first. If you create the whole drive Extended DOS and then create one or more Logical drives within that, DOS will assign letters in succession after any partitions on the first physical HD.

7. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You need to update the BIOS on your motherboard. Then you will be able to use the entire drive. I have a 60 GB drive that uses a single FAT32 partition, so it is most definitely an outdated BIOS.
    Also, make sure your hard drive is not jumpered to 32GB mode, although that is highly unlikely in your case. [​IMG]

10. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

11. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Not to hijack the thread, but I have sort of a similar problem. I put in a new 20gb HD and can only see/use 18.9gb. Any ideas?

12. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

13. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

The 32GB limitation was not that of FAT32, but rather that of some BIOSs. My parents' computer, for example, has this limitation; it's a P2-350 on an FIC VB-601 motherboard, rev 3. This limitation was removed in rev 4 of this particular motherboard, which is a hardware revision, not something that can be fixed by a BIOS update, unfortunately.
    I have read in several places that Windows XP operates best if each hard drive has just one large partition for the entire drive. I don't know why that is or how much of a difference it makes, but something to consider if you're going to upgrade to XP anytime.
    Regarding the megabyte vs. millions of bytes thing, my WD 120GB (the one with the 8MB buffer! [​IMG]) reports as a 111GB drive. Plus, I don't know why this is, but every time I've formatted a drive with Win2k or WinXP, it always reserves 8MB of space. When it asks me how much of the drive I'd like to partition, the 100% level leaves 8MB of unpartitioned space. You can't get it back by manually inputting the capacity, either. Does anyone know why that 8MB is untouchable?

14. Jeff Kleist

Freaking base-8 (hex) is the cause for the mismanaged GB values
    I always just use the 1 billion bytes=1GB forumula. It's easier than trying to multiply [​IMG]

15. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I believe hexadecimal is base-16, is it not? That's why there are 16 single-digit numerals (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F). In any event, I believe it is binary, base-2, that is the cause of the problem. One kilobyte is 2^10, one megabyte is 2^20, one gigabyte is 2^30, etc.

16. Jeff Kleist

You're probably right, math is not my strong suit [​IMG]

17. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I don't know if it's still the case but I remember that as a result of the heads/cylinders/sectors translation on some SCSI controllers, partitions were limited to increments of 8 MB. Something similar could be the reason why there's a little sliver of disk space that can't be partitioned. It's just 8 MB. Don't worry about it.

18. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

I'm not trying to put a halt on your discussion. I just checked and BIOS reports the HDD has only 32GB. So will a BIOS update fix this? Or should I go XP? I was planning on doing so anyway, but not until next month.

Thanks again!

19. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Changing the operating system wont make any difference. You'll need a BIOS update. Go to www.asus.com and have a nosey round.

20. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ding, Ding! Round Two (Just in time for the weekend)[​IMG]
    First, the OS doesn't have anything to do with fdisk. Please take a step back and let yoour breath out.
    If the bios isn't reporting it correctly, either the drive is too new, your mthbd is too old (bios fixable) or you have a cable problem. I find all three of those ideas strange.
    Hopefully, you have a DOS boot disk. You really don't even need your OS at all, and you could disconnect it and attach your cable to to this 120gig one (be sure to change the jumper on the back, if needed).
    See if using it as your primary master drive makes any difference to the bios and fdisk (bad cable) but in your original post, your OS only formatted 32gig because that is all the bios reported to it as seeing.
    Glenn