What's new

Added 2nd Dish And Now I Have A Nasty Hum. Help! (1 Viewer)

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
I recently added a second dish to my home theater to be able to receive HBO-HD and when the installer hooked everything up I now how a steady hum that I can't rid of. I think the problem is coming from this small powered device that he hooked up.

It's called a Dish VideoPath Power Inserter. He has it hooked up between the dish receiver and from the wall jack. It is a powered device and when I unplug it I lose all satellite signal. I think the reason I have this device is because he is using a SW64 switch.

I have been trying to fix this and it's driving me nuts. I am running the coax through my Monster HTS2500 power center and it's doing nothing to fix the issue.

Is there anything that I could do or use to fix this nasty hum? I am thinking of calling dish network back and see if they can fix it. I have read about other people talking about hearing a hum and usually they call it a ground loop hum. But it's usually when they add a power amp. So I don't know if I have that issue or not. All of my devices are plugged into my monster power center and the power center is the only device that is plugged into the wall.

Did anyone else every have or heard of this issue? I appreciate any help that I can get. Thank you.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
This is the device that Dish hooked up. I didn't realize it but it is a 24V transformer that uses a 2 prong connections. I hope this helps.
dish.jpg

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I'd venture to say the 2nd dish isn't grounded correctly, and this is introducing a ground loop.

Gotta love that, eh?

Regards,

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
I think I found the problem!

The hum is definitely coming from ONLY the subwoofer. I thought it sounded like it was coming from all the speakers, but when I unplugged my Samson S1000 amp the hum went away. What do I need to do know?

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
If you can't track down the ground problem with the dish, put a cheater plug on the Samson. It'd be best to fix the ground, but when all else fails, the cheater plug will do the trick.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Greg,
As John noted, if the hum appeared with the second dish, that’s where the problem is, not your amplifier. Cheater plugs are only a “quick and dirty” fix and really aren’t safe. It’s best to track down the source of the problem and deal with it.
A lot of dish installers are lazy and won’t take the time to do a proper ground. You need to check to see of the new dish was grounded properly. Both dishes should have ground cables to go all the way back the house electrical ground stake – typically at the service panel. If there is some other grounding scheme – to a new stake near the dish, to the closest water pipe, etc. – that is the source of your ground loop.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks