What's new

ADDAMS FAMILY: Volume I (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I felt the same way and just decided to give it a try, figuring any reasonable show from that period can't be all bad - and have to say the show is pretty funny - I've gone from "did I waste my money?" to trying not to watch them too quickly, John Astin is a riot!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
When they sell these piss-ant little boxes, I just pull the cases out and arrange them in order. With a large box set it makes some sense-but a bunch of 2 slipcase boxes is REE diculous-space wise.
This could have gone into a double slim Alpha case.
But damn, Morticia is lovely-the very first Goth girl.
And Gomezs' wide eyed lunatic optimism is halarious.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
Brent Avery said:
I felt the same way and just decided to give it a try, figuring any reasonable show from that period can't be all bad - and have to say the show is pretty funny - I've gone from "did I waste my money?" to trying not to watch them too quickly, John Astin is a riot!
Well, I love the price and a lot of shows from that era, so I might just pick this up before the end of the year. There's too many other DVD sets that I want to buy first, in fact I've fallen behind already.

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
ScottR said:
So, is the music edit a big deal, and would I notice it? I'm not a huge fan of the show (I'm in The Munsters camp), but I do like it. I haven't seen it in years.
Last night I watched the two episodes where the song "It's So Nice to Have a Thing Around the House" was edited out. I compared them against the TV Land versions which still have it in there. The Halloween episode it isn't noticeable at all because Morticia just sings it on her way out of the kitchen and it's no longer than a few seconds. The other episode, which is the last episode on the last disc, it's a little noticeable cause it seems to cut way too quick to the man at the door, but all in all, just a little noticeable. It's too bad they couldn't secure the rights to it as it is a bit annoying not having every second of the episodes, BUT my overall opinion is that this set is very well done and is a MUST HAVE!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
One thing's for sure, that theme to this show has stood time. Ever notice when attending a pro sports event, (NHL game, etc), that inevitably, you'll hear the "finger-snapping" portion of the Addams Family theme on the arena PA systems?
That's the postman with my set. (I know....it's been said already, but I love it when "Thing" delivers the mail) "The mail's in. Why, Thank You, Thing" :emoji_thumbsup: :eek:

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Just picked up my set and I'm absolutely enjoying this show. I'm amazed at the video quality and the transfer. The video is much clearer on this older show than the quality on say, MASH ... the show doesn't even seem dated either as the jokes, episodes and themes seem to be universal and understandable ... the only complaint is that the episodes are edited, but at least it's clearly marked on the packaging ...

Real Name
Mick Hyperion
I have to say that I am extremely impressed and happy to have picked this up. I debated on release day while shopping whether I wanted it. I wasn't around when the show originally aired and I had never even seen a complete episode before as it was never in syndication anywhere I've lived that I am aware of. The Munsters I had seen a little bit of as a kid, but not the Addams Family. Well... this is now a new favorite show of mine! The writing, the acting, the sets, the humor... everything about this show is top notch. I agree that it doesn't seem dated at all. I have yet to groan at anything even slightly stupid or hokey. I love the pure imagination that went into the creation of this show and sure wish there were shows around like this today!

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_TS

But damn, Morticia is lovely-the very first Goth girl."

"That would be Vampira."

Actually, if I remember correctly from one of the Ed Wood documentaries, Maila Nurmi did something as Morticia and an L.A. TV station approached her about the movie hosting gig. She didn't want to get into trouble for copyright infringement, so she came up with Vampira. So Vampira is based in general on Morticia -- the Morticia of the comics, of course.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Brandy681 said:
This is an exellent show but I love The Munsters!
Apples and Oranges...I love them both...The Munsters are more in your face slapstick, while The Addams are more intellectual.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I came to this thread to find out if they were edited and if the one song is all it is, I'm game. I almost bought Volume 1 at Walmart some time back and I saw the disclaimer that there could be edits and I sat it back down. Addams vs. The Munsters? Hands down, Addams Family! The Munsters are okay but not nearly as funny as The Addams Family!:D

I believe that are two episodes that have the same song edited from them: "It's So Nice to Have a Thing Around the House."

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Don't know if this has been mentioned but there's a best-of collection I've seen around, released in 2012, called "Addams Family Spooktacular Collection". Was wondering if this was a retailer-exclusive (it isn't listed among TVshowsondvd.com's release registry), and also if this is an actual overview/ sampling of the entire series or just a collection of episodes (or a repackaged singular disc) from Season One/ Volume One? I'm a "casual fan" so it would be nice if this were an actual series overview (complete with extras :thumbs-up-smiley: ).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Anybody know if this was shot on film, and if so, if the original prints survive? The moody black and white photography would look great on Blu-Ray...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks