What's new

ADDAMS FAMILY: Volume I (2 Viewers)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
A dilemma I find myself in too. I'd much prefer to wait for the eventual full season packaging, which is usually more compact. But once in a while you get burned when not enough get sold and there is no full season, let alone in one package. Oh decisions, decisions ...

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's a decision we all have to make. I'm usually in the "buy as available" crowd since there's no way of knowing if we'll get an entire series released. As Gord said, it's all about the sales #'s, even though sometimes this business confuses me when I see a set that ranked high at Amazon then that particular series goes into the "Black Hole" of limbo.
Back on topic, it's great to hear the early positive feedback on this set. Mine's on the way. "The Mail's In". "Why, Thank You, 'Thing'" :D

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
If you're in the U.S., THE ADDAMS FAMILY, set 1 can be picked up for $17 this week at Circuit City, which is where I picked up my copy yesterday. That's 22 episodes, plus worthwhile extras, for less than the cost of many new-release single movies. For me, at least, that's inexpensive enough to support this release and help assure the release of the remainder of the series.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Yeah, and I seriously doubt there will ever be a full-packaging of this series, or rather, re-packaging. These three volumes are it, and no single volume will contain the totality of either season one or season two. I would say, if you want it, get it now.

BernieV

Stunt Coordinator
Gord Lacey said:
The problem with that thinking is that you're contributing to a show failing by not purchasing it. If a third of the people thought the way you do then we wouldn't see shows continued because there would be poor sales for the sets.
Gord
Exactly. That's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. If this release fails, there may not be any more Addams Family volumes or sets. Saying that you're not going to support it until you see the next volume does nothing to change the studio's plans and may encourage others to follow suit, thereby increasing the chance of no more releases.
It's a great series. If you want to add it to your collection eventually, do it now and help ensure that more episodes make it to DVD. Enjoy a fun watch for Halloween! :eek:

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Just got this yesterday. Biggest question is if it is worth getting signed by Lisa Loring at the local Horror Convention this weekend. It was great watching these again.

Just one question for those who may know. Why is there a discalaimer that this "entertainment" had been modified on the back. Is this because of music writes?

Thanks,

Matt

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first 2 episodes, and liked it. I still like The Munsters a bit more, but The Addams Family is great classic television.

I like the air dates of the episodes. I picked up Facts Of Life season 3 yesterday as well, and it doesn't have the air dates, so when I watch an episode, I feel kind of lost about the timeframe, and history of the show.

The Addams Family volume 1 is a good set, I just wish the discs were single sided, with more episodes, instead of the 2 sided discs.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
JohnMor said:
Yeah, and I seriously doubt there will ever be a full-packaging of this series, or rather, re-packaging. These three volumes are it, and no single volume will contain the totality of either season one or season two. I would say, if you want it, get it now.
As I mentioned earlier, I am late to this thread, so excuse me if this has already been addressed, but we know for certain then that Fox's proposed plan is to release a total of THREE volumes of Addams Family (to cover seasons one and two) and not to split each season into two separate volumes? If that is the case, then that makes purchasing these volumes a lot more palatable, IMO.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Gord Lacey said:
The problem with that thinking is that you're contributing to a show failing by not purchasing it. If a third of the people thought the way you do then we wouldn't see shows continued because there would be poor sales for the sets.
Gord
Gord, I appreciate your thoughts, but I just checked my listing of "DVD's I Own" over at your web site and with well over 100 TV titles to my name, I feel I have done my fair share to help the cause, so to speak. I like Fox product, too, so that is not the issue. But, after purchasing a lot of TVonDVD over the years, I find that, in general, I get the most personal enjoyment out of viewing an entire season at once. I can, and quite often do, burn through a season set in 4-5 days. The idea of buying a split season (even of a sitcom that is not necessarily serialized in any meaningful way) does not appeal to me. If I buy this set, am I not in a way saying to Fox that I am happy to purchase TVonDVD this way, when in reality, I am not? That is why I took what I thought was a compromise position of waiting for the full season to be released and then buying it.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
pitchman said:
to split each season into two separate volumes? If that is the case, then that makes purchasing these volumes a lot more palatable, IMO.
Gary, yes Fox is splitting the 64 episodes into 3 relatively equal volumes, instead of 2 seasons. While that means a lower price point per set, which they hope means more orders from retailers and more sales from consumers, it also means that you'll probably end up spending an average of about $10.00 more for the whole series than if they were in 2 full season sets (assuming they would give the complete seasons a price point of $39.99). That's full retail however, and most people can get them cheaper than that wherever they shop.
I'm one of the casual fans of the show that might not have wanted to shell out $30 for the whole first season, but I did gladly shell out $20 for this set, especially after the reviews I read about the image quality. So maybe there's good reasoning behind the way Fox does the volume thing here, but normally I'm a complete season person.
I watched disc one last night and was thoroughly delighted in the show all over again.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
pitchman said:
Gord, I appreciate your thoughts, but I just checked my listing of "DVD's I Own" over at your web site and with well over 100 TV titles to my name, I feel I have done my fair share to help the cause, so to speak. I like Fox product, too, so that is not the issue. But, after purchasing a lot of TVonDVD over the years, I find that, in general, I get the most personal enjoyment out of viewing an entire season at once. I can, and quite often do, burn through a season set in 4-5 days. The idea of buying a split season (even of a sitcom that is not necessarily serialized in any meaningful way) does not appeal to me. If I buy this set, am I not in a way saying to Fox that I am happy to purchase TVonDVD this way, when in reality, I am not? That is why I took what I thought was a compromise position of waiting for the full season to be released and then buying it.
I hope you didn't feel I was picking on you, it's just an argument that I've seen many times, but it's one where the consumer ends up losing in the end (and the studio, since they can't continue releasing a series). It's easy to think "But I'm just one person..." but when you multiple that by the number of people that may be thinking that, then the sales fall short of their goal.
That's one of the reasons I suggested Time-Life release the entire "Get Smart" set at once. People know the entire series will be released at once, and they know there won't be a big "Complete Series" set released down the road, because that's what they're buying FIRST!
As people have already mentioned, they're releasing 3 sets total. This is similar to the releases of Family Guy and Futurama, so they aren't just picking on older shows.
Gord

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Gord, no harm - no foul. :)
I am pretty thick-skinned and didn't think you were picking on me. Heck, I've been hanging out here since 1998 (has HTF really been around that long already??) and have witnessed some heated discussions. Trust me. This is NOT one of them. :D
John, thanks much for the clarification. :emoji_thumbsup: I will pick up volume one today!
In the end, like everything thing else, it's all about the marketing. The decision by Fox to release this (albeit inherited) series over three volumes make financial sense to them. As a longtime consumer of TV on DVD, I was expecting to purchase the complete first season of The Addam's Family. This is, after all, the established norm for vintage half-hour programs of this type. Look at The Munsters, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeanie, Gidget, Leave it to Beaver, etc., etc.
If Fox had chosen to to support their marketing plan with a simple package burst along the lines of, "Collect all 64 episodes in a Specially Priced, individually released, Three Volume Set!" we wouldn't be having this discussion. And, it would go a long way towards turning a perceived negative into a positive. As always, YMMV.

EricSJorg

Auditioning
I just picked up this set for Hallowe'en yesterday and was thoroughly impressed with the set. I didn't realize it was a Volume 1 as opposed to a season 1 until i arrived at home, but it was honestly the farthest thing from a worry in my mind.

My question is just whether there has been any official news of continued restoration work, or plans for the future releases of this show? I for one will be there the day it comes out for the next release.

It's a little bit saddening to see more modern sets that get far more funding and see higher sales, get Nowhere near the amount of attention this set received. This set has beautiful packaging, simple menus and one of the first times i have really been impressed by the use of slim cases.

And if thats not all reason enough to make a post may as well be bumping this one back up, its looking a little bit tired and ignored, which is surprising with Hallowe'en passing just hours ago.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I still crack up at Gomez demented, shit eating grin, and his throw away delivery;

---

Subordinate:

"Ive looked ALL over the country to find you some of those!"

Gomez, pausing to reflect, suddenly ejects "Well look in the cities, then, old boy!"

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
So, is the music edit a big deal, and would I notice it? I'm not a huge fan of the show (I'm in The Munsters camp), but I do like it. I haven't seen it in years.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
ScottR said:
So, is the music edit a big deal, and would I notice it? I'm not a huge fan of the show (I'm in The Munsters camp), but I do like it. I haven't seen it in years.
From what I understand it's just a moment in a single episode where Morticia was singing to Thing and they couldn't clear the song.

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
I know a lot of people are disappointed that the seasons have been split into

volumes, but this show is just too good and desirable to pass up. I WOULD prefer to have whole season sets, but if this is the way the are releasing it, I'm all over it. Even if they did abandon it, which I dont think they will do, this show is rarely shown for any length of time on any TV stations I get. They only showed it on TV Land on Sunday morning and it was very hard for me to catch the episodes. 22 episodes in my collection is better than none.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I'm not sure if I want to buy this or not. I've seen this show off and on over the years but I'm more of a Munsters fan, I'm still interested in seeing this show, just not sure If I will like it enough to own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks