add rear speakers only to plasma tv

chscof

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I have a hitachi 42hds69-hdtv plasma in a game room and would like to add 2 rear speakers to the room. I want to keep the amp or receiver installation hidden as much as possible. The tv has rca out but I don’t see headphone out. I am not looking for surround sound or anything fancy.

chscof

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
i am looking for a tiny amp or receiver to make this connection. i dont want to add a rack of equipment just a small powered unit to boost the output of the tv to the speakers. I dont want powered speakers either. any ideas?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you are going to go to the level of actually installing a receiver and a second set of speakers, why wouldn't you want surround? Anyway, what Wayne said - if the TV has preamp level outputs (RCA), just hook those to an amp or receiver and you'll be good to go just to add another set of speakers.

The T-amp should work for you, with some easy to drive, small-ish or sensitive speakers.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Just curious - Why would you want the sound that comes out of the front of the tv to be behind you? Because without a surround processor, that's what you will get. This would be very disconcerting, IMHO, to have the action/dialog being portrayed on the screen to be heard coming from behind the viewer and for playing games it would be absolutely useless (games often have directional sound cues which would be thrown off if coming from all around the room). A better solution would be to get a cheap pro-logic receiver and just connect the RCA outs to it and hook up the rear speakers to the rear outputs. This would at least give you pro-logic instead of the same sound from 4 speakers around the room. This would not be ideal (the TV speakers are often lacking in performance and pro-logic is Dolby Digital's poor performing ancestor), but it would be better than what you propose. Just my opinion.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I think this is exactly what you're looking for:

In-wall Local Control Amplifier

It is made specifically for flat-panel monitors.

BTW: in these days of "mandatory" 100 watt per channel amps (purely a marketing department idea
) 10 watts per channel (into 8 Ohms) may not sound like much but with the average speaker, based on personal experience that's enough power to provide volume levels loud enough in the typical game room to make normal conversation impossible.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Many TVs' RCA outputs are connected to the volume control i.e. their volume changes at the same time as the volume of the built-in speakers. Also, many TVs have a "fixed/variable" option in their audio set up menu for their RCA audio outputs; plus a "speakers off" option is usually somehwere in there too.

chscof

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
This Boston amp is what I was looking for. Thanks
I simply want to have the option to fill the room with sound(music or the game) when alot of people are around. I can set the plasma tv speakers to be center chanel and get the surround affect. My main goal is to hide the equipment.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els