Add Amp or Upgrade Speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Duca, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Ron Duca

Ron Duca Stunt Coordinator

I have the following equipment:

Yamaha RX-V995 Receiver (100x5)

Paradigm Monitor 9's, Main

Paradigm CC-350, Center

Paradigm Mini Monitor's, Rear

Paradigm PW-2200, Sum

OK. I was pretty much set on adding a Rotel 200x5 or Parasound 220x5 outboard amp to my system. Then someone mentioned that a larger improvement would be to replace my Monitor 9 speakers with Paradigm Studio 40's. Actually, if I were to do something like this, I'd go with the Studio 60's.

Anyway, what do you think of the "upgrading speakers" idea instead of adding an amp? Would that really provide better sound?

Thanks,

Ron

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I would suggest asking the dealer if you can leave a deposit and demo the amp. If you are already pleased with the performance of the speakers why upgrade them. I added a Rotel RMB-1066(6x60) to my Paradigm Mini Monitors and noticed and immediate change over my Denon 1801.

Kevin

3. DaleV

DaleV Agent

I'd agree with Kevin on that one. Borrow an amp for just a week or so from the dealer and I think you may realize you don't need new speakers. They just need more power and a little "breathing" room. I'm using a Parasound 2205a right now with a brand new set of Ref 40's,ref center,and ref 20's for the rear. Wouldn't have thought of buying the Reference series without an amp. A receiver can't do a good set of speakers justice,I know I've tried. Anyone who can't tell the difference between separates and a receiver must be deaf in one ear and can't hear with the other. Right now I'm using an Onkyo 696 as a pre/pro,but thats the next thing to be upgraded. Try the amp, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Besides, if you upgraded the speakers you still would not have the power needed to drive them properly. Good luck and have fun.

4. Edward M

Edward M Stunt Coordinator

Like Ron i'm running studio 40's up front, 20's in the rear and the studio cc. Also looking to add another pair of 20's or ADP's for 7.1 to a Denon 3801. Speakers are crossed over at 80Hz to a ACI Titan II LE sub.

However, i'm not pleased with the musical performance of the 3801 and want to add an external amp. If I had the 20's I would definately investigate the Parasound 2205a but i'm having a hard time justifying anything more than the Parasound 1205a for my setup.

What do you guys think......Ron, did you try a lesser power amp before getting the 2205a? For me the $1600 is a abit much...maybe I could get a deal now that it's discontinued.

Ed

5. Edward M

Edward M Stunt Coordinator

oops...it's Dale with the 40's, 20's and CC. My confusion.

6. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

Of course the speaker upgrade would give you the greatest improvement in sound, but then the yammy might not get the best out of your speakers, so you'll have to upgrade to an amp as well. So I'd say upgrade both[​IMG].

7. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

^^^what Aslam said. [​IMG]

8. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Upgrade speakers first, then amp(s). You may find you like the sound of an inefficient speaker(85db)which has 4 ohm impedance for example. You could then purchase amplification geared toward driving those specific speakers. Just my opinion. [​IMG]

9. Jody C Robins

Jody C Robins Stunt Coordinator

I just finished upgrading...first my mains (from Titans to Adire 281s ported) and then my amp (SherwoodNewcastle R-626 65W/channel to Sherbourn 5/1500A 200W/Channel). Though both greatly improved the sound of my system, I think the amp made a bigger difference. I agree with the guys above who said that you may not be getting everything you can out of your speakers. I would definitely try to get an in-home demo of an amp and check it out. I just got mine last night, and the the difference was nothing less than amazing.

10. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

11. Vinny Petronio

Vinny Petronio Stunt Coordinator

Go for the amp thatsall you will need

12. DaleV

DaleV Agent

Edward,I did try a different brand of amp(Anthem MCA5II),but at the time I didn't have the Reference series speakers. I was just using the amp from my dealers stock to try out before doing an upgrade on a lot my equipment. I went with the 2205a instead. I liked the way it worked with the Reference speakers more than the Anthem. But I knew immediately after connecting the Anthem to my Polk speakers that the amp upgrade was the first thing to go with. To me the amp was by far the greatest improvement in my set-up. I could have lived with the Polk speakers and the Parasound amp together but the Reference series speakers have always been my dream speakers. I was finally able to get the speakers and the amp together. At the same time I also upgraded my CD player and DVD player. Still, I need to go to a dedicated pre/pro to finish off that part of the electronics. Also want to upgrade to SVS subs. Ron,as I said before GET the AMP first, at least one to try out with the Monitor speakers, I think you will very surprised how good the monitors will sound with a powerful amp. Go with the maximum power you can afford. Then if you still want to upgrade to Reference series speakers at least the amp won't be stopping them from performing their best.