What's new

Adcom's "External Processor Loop" ? (1 Viewer)

Jake Garian

Auditioning
I have an Adcom GTP-450 stereo-only preamp with an "External Processor Loop" L/R in/out. It is not discussed in the manual.

I assume it is a signal-level loop for adding an EQ or something similar?

Is it a constant level signal or is it controlled by the volume setting?

If it is inline with the primary signal path, I can't understand how it can be an open loop by default - ie. the ins/outs are not currently connected but the preamp works fine.

Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Jake, this external processor loop is found in a lot of preamps now a days. Basically, it is just a passthrough so that you can run the front speakers with either your pre/pro or your 2 channel pre. So basically, you send the preouts of the pre/pro to the sound processor loop in, and then you send the main outs of the 2 channel pre to your amp. This way, when you want to listen to 2 channel only, you can use your 2 channel pre, and when you want to listen to HT or 5 channel sources, you can press the select the sound processor loop on you 2 channel pre, and this will disable all functions(volume, eq, balance, etc.) except for power on the 2 channel pre, and it will send the signal from the pre/pro to the amplifier channels powering your mains. Hope this makes sense

Jake Garian

Auditioning
Chung -

Great! Thanks! Makes perfect sense. Allows someone to have full-blown HT and still have "audiophile" 2-channel sound via the same amp and main speakers. That's the idea, right?

One more question if you don't mind - what is the purpose of the external processor loop outputs? The Adcom 2 channel pre has a set of "main" outputs that go to the amp, plus the external processor loop has ins AND outs.

Are the external processor loop outs simply a passthrough that is always available? (As opposed to the main outs which only act as a passthrough when the external loop is selected?) And if so, why?

I guess the external loop outs can be used to send the signal from the pre/pro back to yet another amp to power speakers in another room?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks