Adcom's "External Processor Loop" ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jake Garian, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Jake Garian

Jake Garian Auditioning

I have an Adcom GTP-450 stereo-only preamp with an "External Processor Loop" L/R in/out. It is not discussed in the manual.

I assume it is a signal-level loop for adding an EQ or something similar?

Is it a constant level signal or is it controlled by the volume setting?

If it is inline with the primary signal path, I can't understand how it can be an open loop by default - ie. the ins/outs are not currently connected but the preamp works fine.

Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Jake, this external processor loop is found in a lot of preamps now a days. Basically, it is just a passthrough so that you can run the front speakers with either your pre/pro or your 2 channel pre. So basically, you send the preouts of the pre/pro to the sound processor loop in, and then you send the main outs of the 2 channel pre to your amp. This way, when you want to listen to 2 channel only, you can use your 2 channel pre, and when you want to listen to HT or 5 channel sources, you can press the select the sound processor loop on you 2 channel pre, and this will disable all functions(volume, eq, balance, etc.) except for power on the 2 channel pre, and it will send the signal from the pre/pro to the amplifier channels powering your mains. Hope this makes sense

3. Jake Garian

Jake Garian Auditioning

Chung -

Great! Thanks! Makes perfect sense. Allows someone to have full-blown HT and still have "audiophile" 2-channel sound via the same amp and main speakers. That's the idea, right?

One more question if you don't mind - what is the purpose of the external processor loop outputs? The Adcom 2 channel pre has a set of "main" outputs that go to the amp, plus the external processor loop has ins AND outs.

Are the external processor loop outs simply a passthrough that is always available? (As opposed to the main outs which only act as a passthrough when the external loop is selected?) And if so, why?

I guess the external loop outs can be used to send the signal from the pre/pro back to yet another amp to power speakers in another room?