Adcom Products?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomH, Aug 22, 2001.

1. TomH

TomH Second Unit

A few years ago Adcom was a highly respected product with outstanding value. Now there seems to be very little interest on the forums. Whats the story with Adcom?
    Tom

2. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Itseems that they messed up with their first digital processor...supposedly, it had tons of bugs.
    I've been told by a dealer that they dropped Adcom due to shipping delays and quality control problems.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]

3. EricKH

EricKH Agent

I am using ADCOM amps and really like them. I have avoided their pre-pros for the reasons stated above. Thier 5802 amp and corresponding preamp got very good reviews in Sterophile
    Like any other company, I try to go with them for what they do best. I have never had any problem with any Adcom componenet I have purchased

4. Rich G

Rich G Stunt Coordinator

I have only heard good things regarding their amps. Not much on the pre-amps. Used Adcom amps are a very good buy. Sometimes you see a 555 II listed for $350. A rack of those and you may not need to heat your house in the winter. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Rich G.

5. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

Adcom builds gear all over the map. Some Adcom products have had reliability/quality control problems (their first AC-3 pre/processor). Some sound bad (my GTP500II tuner/preamp is an abomination). Some are good and reasonably priced but might not suit your tastes (I'm pretty fond of my GCD700 (neutral) and GFA545iis (a hair to the bright side of neutral) although if you want musical or warm you wouldn't be). Some are universally regarded as wonderful (the analog preamps and current single drawer CD player).
    That said, I would NOT buy an Adcom component without auditioning it first, would wait to see how well a new model worked out, and would definately consider Adcom again.
    [Edited last by Drew Eckhardt on August 24, 2001 at 05:12 PM]

6. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

The GTP500II I use sounds fine. I've been told that this is a problem with Adcom products; the same model can vary by a wide margin w.r.t. sound quality (analogous to cars I guess).
    I greatly enjoy my GCD700 changer and have, in the past, gotten excellent performance out of my 535II amp. The 555II amp was a nice amp for the $$$ as well.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

7. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

In regards to the GFP 750, I agree with the earlier QC problems. However, I still took a chance on the GFP 750 and it was well worth the risk and it since has resisted my upgrade itch every time because there just isn't any other pre amp that I can get in the price range that performs as well and also is as flexible as this unit is especially for the price. Unfortunately, someone has to buy new products first and those that did helped Adcom find out what problems to fix and weed out. Now the pre pro's that Adcom offers seem to really have a lot of problems and I think heads should start to roll in their QC dept if they haven't started already because unlike the GFP 750, they never seem to fix the problems with the Pre/Pro's, they just bring out another new model which has it's own set of problems. I've never owned Adcom amps before but I do notice after reading a lot of consumer reviews on these amps, I noticed a lot of these people are usually people right off of the $300-600 receiver boat and match the Adcom amps with inferior supporting equipment like the CD players and speakers, and chords and complain of harshness and brightness etc. This I think is part of the reason why the Adcom 5802 received better reviews than the lower end models because of the people that usually can afford and purchase the higher end models usually have the supporting components, accessories and the room setup capability to truely hear and appreciate what these amps have to offer.
    A person who understands what amp he/she needs and what would be sufficient for the type of music they want to hear as well as the levels they will play it can purchase a lower end Adcom amp or any amp for that matter and find that the amp works just fine. Not being realistic about you and your listening habits and tastes is one of the main reasons why people usually end up hating a piece of equipment.
    Do amps sound different? I think a lot of it has to do with the supporting cast and proper matching more than the electronic and technical aspect of things. However, I do believe that headroom and control opens the door for all of the other cues that we look for in a musical presentation.
    Sorry for rambling....
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

8. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

IIRC, it was the 740 that was the bug plagued unit.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]