Adcom or Rotel

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by john bourne, Dec 11, 2004.

1. john bourne

john bourne Extra

Howdy everyone, I was looking for your opinion as I have not found a place to place both these brands head to head. I'm looking to spend around 400 or so dollars on the used market for a 2 channel amp that I will not have to upgrade for a long while. The Adcom GFA-555 200 watt per channel seems pretty easy to pick up in this price range. How would this compare to a Rotel offering in the same price range. I'm open to other suggestions as well. The amp will power a pair of GR AV-3 (91db sensitive) speakers in a very large acoustically dampened room. I also like to listen at a pretty aggressive level 85-90dB at listening position (14 feet back from center) so good power reserves are a must. Thank you for your thoughts.

2. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Both make excellent amps. If you like a sound that leans toward the mellow, warm, laid back side of things, go with the Rotel.

If you want a more neutral, uncolored, and balanced sound, go w/ the Adcom.

3. Scott Goldsmith

Scott Goldsmith Stunt Coordinator

I own the Rotel RMB 1095 and I think it's more of a bright/clear/detailed amp than a warmer amplifier. It may be my Klipsch RF-7's showing the true sound of the Rotel. But I say it's up to you, listen to both and see what you like, those speakers are going need some power with that sensitivity rating, not as efficient as my 102db Klispch [​IMG]

4. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Actually, a 91db rating is pretty darn efficient compared to most speakers' mid to upper 80's ratings and don't necessarily need gobs of power reserves. Klipsch OTOH, are ultra efficient and can be driven to loud levels on just a hand full of watts.

5. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

I have the 1095 as well and I think the Rotel matched up with my B&Ws is along the lines of being bright...might be slightly laid back and warm...though it's a tough call. I think I'm used to very bright and detailed things as I love the Yamaha's receivers...which are said to be bright...

Best thing to do is demo both with your setup...I think both amps will push them well, it'll just be your decision as to what sounds better.

I know with the RMB-1095 I thought it sounded a little (well a decent amount) thin when I first got it, now that I've been using it for about 2 - 4 hours a day over the last week (so about 14-30 hours) it is starting to gain in the fullness. I think a big thing of mine right now is that the pre-outs on my Yammie 1400 aren't the best.

One thing I noticed right off the bat and had to get used to is that the sound stage is much bigger with the 1095...my room is really small and it was hard to get used to at first...now I'm getting more used to it and once I get a nice big room for the HT, it'll fit perfectly!

Test both out if you can...and go from there.

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Rotel makes their own stuff in their own factories. The orignal Adcom 555 was made by Rotel (I own a 555 in a secondary system). I think the newer Rotel amps since then sound a bit better but they're likely to be more. I am not familiar with speakers nor their impedence curve. Perhaps you have a link? If you decide to go with the 555 and want to mod it down the line, there are places like: http://www.musicaldesign.com/adcom.htm