Adcom is back: 300W x 7

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anth_c, Mar 5, 2003.

1. anth_c

anth_c Stunt Coordinator

Just saw this from Adcom's site:

http://www.adcom.com/newproducts/gfa7807.htm

GFA-7807

The big daddy of our F.A.T. power amplifiers
    300 watts x 7 channels into 8 ohms all channels driven
    Power rig circuit topology
    Balanced and Unbalanced inputs
    Gold Plated 5 way binding post speaker terminals
    Two huge torriodial transformers
    Mono block power supply design for all channels
    156,800 micro farads of power supply capacitance
    Power bandwidth 10 Hz –100kHz
    12 volt trigger on circuit
    Dimensions (in inches) including feet and jacks 9.75 x 17 x 20.75
    Unit weight: 119 lbs.

Finish – black with silver

Ships in wooden crate!

2. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

That's a lot of power under one hood.

Adcom amps are known to run hot. I wonder how hot this one will get.

3. skip marr

skip marr Stunt Coordinator

HARSH SONICALLY - CHECK IT OUT!!

4. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

5. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

as new as these are, Could it need more break-in?

6. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

..and to think no one commented on the:

"Unit weight: 119 lbs."

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

-or how horrible the photograph on the website is. Geez...could they have done a wose job lighting the thing?

8. SteveHarvey

SteveHarvey Extra

I've been to a training and seen that beast . . .but they didnt have it hooked up, so cant verify for sound. I have heard the 125x7 Amp, might get that for myself, it sounds really good. . . Adcom is back.

9. skip marr

My esperience with Adcom auditions has been nice looking pieces, but they struggle under any substantial load. Sonically at low levels I find them harsh sounding - do real dynamics as in other better brands like Rotel, which is sonically superior, HK which is a lot better and less expensive, etc. My first hand is with Rotel (which I do not own) and HK (which I do own). Of course, should you have a more forgiving speaker like Paradigm or DefTech or Polk, you'll never notice the difference. Plug one in to your favorite speakers and A:B with Rotel, HK, even Marantz now and see what you think. It's your ears!!

10. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

I have an Adcom 555 but the front speakers are QEF 104s which are 4ohms and well behaved. The resistance doesn't
    vary over frequency

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I don't put much stock in offhand judgments of any electronic component's "sound."

ADCOM has a rich history of good performance for the buck.

As for the unit's weight, what would one expect at 300 watts per? (McIntosh's power amps, for example, have frequently weighed this much—and we're talking about two-channel units such as the old MC2300.)

As the specs note, separate transformers for each channel. That translates into weight.

12. Jon Gum

Jon Gum Stunt Coordinator

Looks like a beast.

Why doesn't Adcom list "dampening factor" in any of their specs for their units on the website? Anyone with an Adcom know what their dampening factor is for most of their units? Based on what I have seen for mid-level amps in general, more channels = less dampening factor.

Also, anyone heard the street price of this bad boy?

Jon

13. skip marr

Music by the pound!!

14. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Jon, Onecall has it listed already. They want $2400 for the 5 channel and $3200 for the 7 channel version.

Skip, can you provide any relevant details? You just mention your experience with Adcom auditions. That doesn't sound like much to go on. What models did you listen to? How much listening did you do? What speakers were you listening to? And please, what does "do real dynamics as in other better brands" mean? Adcom generally has a very good reputation, the only complaint I think I've ever seen about their amps is that they run hot. But I've yet to hear anything about their FAT amps, most reviews I've seen refer to their MOSFET amps.

15. David R. Hendrickson

David R. Hendrickson Stunt Coordinator

this dosn't make much sense. 2 transformers for 7 channels does not a monoblock power supply make.

ah, the key word is "design". it's designed like a monoblock, but it's not really a monoblock.

sounds like more of that "power steering" nonsense Sunfire was doing...

16. skip marr

Keith,

First of all, experience is unique to each of us. What one likes the other may or may not like. However, first hand auditions speak strongly against any specs on paper - especially from an audophile.

I did not note the models - only that all were seperates and we worked under the $4000 price range on amps. I think we auditioned 2, maybe 3 different models. All reflected the same sonically as I noted earlier. However, keep in mind this is only my experience and my evaluation. You may prefer a harsh sound to your amp's sound.

Regarding the speakers, this has no affect, as all A:B's were done through the same speakers.

Regaring the dynamics comment - my typo - it should have read "NO real dynamics as in other better brands".

I would not even consider Adcom in today's market, but that is my opinion. Should you have a different experience and want to share that, I would be interested in hearing. I think they do a great marketing job. But like the old sales story goes...

A Major DOg Food Company -
    Good maketing...
    Good packaging...
    Good pricing...
    ...so why aren't the sales there?
    ...The dogs don't like it!!!!!!

17. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Well Skip when did you do this test? You jumped in saying these sound bad and didn't note whether you were listening to the brand new, just recently released models, or the old ones. These are entirely different technologies. You can't assume as you are doing that all their amps will sound the same. Also, your opening remark was:

18. skip marr

Keith,

My point was I found them harsh - you check it out for yourself. I would not decide on any one person's recommendation or evaluation. I think the forums are great for gathering opinions, feedback, input, and overall product evaluations - but I would trust your own ears. Often the key to a great sounding system is the overall combo of components used. If you have a bright amp, with bright speakers, and a cheap DVD palyer playing CD's, then you are going to realize a bad overall sound. On the other hand, should you mix a Krell DVD with a Pioneer AV unit and average speakers, you are not going to realize the full benefit of the Krell. As the old saying goes, "The chain is only as strong as the weakest link".

That being said, I still found Adcom harh, as compared to Rotel, Arcam, even HK. That is just my opinion. But please keep me updated as to what you do as I would be interested in hearing how it all works out. Good luck!

19. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

The last thing that I could say about Adcom's MOSFET and multichannel amps is that they are sonically harsh. I cannot comment personally on their power amps prior to 1995, with which I am not familiar, but the models produced since then have all sounded exceptionally smooth. That applies to the bipolar home-theater amps and, especially, the MOSFET units.

I have used a high-end all-tube system in my music room for about 20 years. When I began building a dedicated high-end theater room, I spend countless hours auditioning and borrowing power amps, hoping to find a solid-state amp that wouldn't hurt my ears, as most SS amps tend to do after awhile. The Adcom GFA-5503 was one of the very few that I could live with and actually enjoy.

This MOSFET amp proved itself to be sonically equal or superior to any competitor within about twice its retail price. It is buttery smooth, clean, detailed, nonfatiguing, has excellent soundstaging and imaging capabilities, possesses seemingly unlimited dynamics, and can handle loads of 3-4 ohms with ease and grace. Coupled with an Adcom GFA-5400 for surround duties, these amps provide wonderful home-theater sound.

When I recently assembled a high-end den system for our new house, to obtain significantly better sound than the Adcom power amps I had to move up all the way to McIntosh.

The Adcom amps of recent years (and earlier) have earned considerable praise and recommendations among high-end magazines, among them the Perfect Vision and Stereophile. The Absolute Sound's Anthony Cordesman utilizes multiple Adcom stereo MOSFET amps in his price-no-object theater system.

In conclusion, are Adcom's power amps of recent years even slightly harsh? Not a chance.

Have a nice weekend, everybody!

20. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I have the Adcom 5800 250 w/p/c, and no, harsh is not how I would describe it. Who designed the new 7 channel model? Adcom has had some real gurus design some of their stereo equipment. I know Nelson Pass has done at least two power amps for them, and their 565 preamp was also designed by an industry leader, whose name escapes me at the moment.