What's new

Adcom GFA-555 vs 555 II vs. 555 pro (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Stefan

Have you tried the Adcom web site for info?

The 555II is a newer version of the 555.

The 555 Pro is probably a little heavier duty.

Adcom does not get much play on this forum and they were recently acquired by another company. Resale value is not real good. Unless you can get great prices on these pieces, look at something else. If you can get great prices, pick the one that fits your budget the best.

Artie

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
As far as I know, all these amps are discontinued. As Arthur noted, the 555II is an upgraded version. The pro model is the same except for the addition of rack ears and balanced inputs.

I’m not sure how bad their resale value is compared to any other used equipment, but you can definitely get good deals on used Adcoms. I’ve been using a pair or 555II’s in my system for many years and have been very pleased with them. Only paid $325 a piece.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Stefan A

Second Unit
I am getting a used 555 for $335. Plus shipping of course. I think it is a pretty good deal. From what I have read and heard, amps stay in good condition unless they are abused. According to the owner, it has not been abused.

Stefan

I've had several 555's over the years and still run one as a sub-amp. Moved over to a 5503/5400 combo for my mains, center and rears. Compared to their original retail value they don't get "good prices" but that $335 is a good price and a year from now you could quite likely get what you paid for it.

The 555 is a rock-solid amp. It's not as warm and smooth as a lot of the newer amps but it still a fine sounding amp and will put receiver amplifiers to shame.

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread