Adcom GFA 535 How are these amps?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron-P, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I just bought 3. They are 60wpc and I figure I can bridge each for 120wpc and use them for my mains and center. I have a Marantz SR5000 with pre-outs.
    Any comments or helpful tips on this set-up?
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

2. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

great amps, I'm sure you got a great deal on them.

I don't have any experience with bridging them though.

3. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

Very nice sounding amps. I owned one a few years ago, but never attempted to bridge it. Actually, I am not sure if it is possible to bridge the 535.
    As I remember it, the power ratings were 60 x 2 rms @ 8 ohms or 100 x 2 rms @ 4 ohms.
    One thing stands out in my memory: be sure to provide adequate ventilation, as these things get hot! I never had mine shut down, but I did burn my hand on the heat sink once. If you plan to drive a 4-ohm load, I would say that fan-cooling is a must. It's somewhat minor, but that is the only drawback I can remember on the 535.
    Enjoy your new amps! [​IMG]

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I have to disagree with Chris as I have one that powers my subs (Two Tempests and Two Shivaes) at a 2 ohm load for the last two years without a problem. I also have a second one powering my aura shakers and third I loaned to a friend to power his subs since he doesn't have an amp. The only advice I can give is to buy some extra fuses (4 amp fast blows), give it breathing room up top, and if you do bridge it keep the volume low when powering up/down your gear (has a nasty pop or thump, haven't hurt anything yet but still somewhat uncomfortable with it). These are durable amps with thermal overload protection, distortion alerts (at least all of mine which are versions 1), and decent power (though a little harsh at louder listening levels, at least my experience).

5. Robert_Gaither

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Thanks for the tips guys. I picked them up for $100/ea. Seems to be a good deal. They are in excellent condition, never been driven hard and all work perfectly.
    According to Adcom, these amps are not bridgeable. But, that's OK. My L, R and Center are all bi-ampable, so this is the direction I plan on going.
    Thanks for the links Robert. This is my first step away from the receiver and into the world of seperates. Looking forward to hooking them up.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

7. John Royster

Nice.
    [​IMG]

8. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

They may have been the lowest power amp Adcom produced at the time [the others being the 100 wpc 545 and the 200 wpc 555] but I've always thought they were the nicest sounding. The only one of the three that is bridgeable is the 555.

9. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

10. Robert_Gaither

They also had a model 2535 (4/3 channel amp based on the 535 chassis) come to think of it and the two center amps could be bridged to become 200 wpc. So in the event you do decide to try to bridge it then it should be a 200 wpc and should safely be driven to 4 ohms in this mode (since the amp claims to be stable down 2 ohms a channel).

$100 per amp? I am definitely jealous (paid $150, $140, and $125 respectively for mine though am going to sell one to a friend for $140 since he wants the one with binding posts).

11. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

You found a great deal, Ron! [​IMG] I am sure you will love the sound of the 535's.

12. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Great deal! [​IMG] Those are some really nice HT amps.
    Bi-amp those Polks and go to town! Or, you could just sit in your HT and enjoy `em... it's completely up to you. [​IMG]

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Yep, I plan to Bi-Amp. The amps showed up today and I just ordered some custom interconnects from SingalCable.
    Cannnot wait to get home and begin tinkering with the amps and HT rig.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Where'd you buy them?

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    The amps I pulled from ebay.
    The cables http://www.signalcable.com
    Have talked with several who highly recommed them.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You know Ron, the musical experience is definitely enhanced by a good deal. I know of a person who at a garage sale picked up some Stax headphones for the princely sum of $35. Woman just wanted to get rid of them. My son, who 'regretfully' is excercising his penchant for electric guitar, purchased a used, 70's Fender tube amp for $50. Guy said it didn't work. Turned out a switch in the back was set the wrong way. For that he was offered $500 on the spot by someone who has a strong interest in vintage Fender gear.

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I just unpacked the amps, they in excellent condition. I am amazed at the build quality of these. I'm in for a treat if they sound as good as they look and feel.
    Time to disappear into the Green Room for a few hours to rearrange all the gear and set these up.
    This occasion deserves a good Steelhead Extra Stout[​IMG]
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Great amps. Great company.
    Got my start on this hifi adventure with a GFA555 from Adcom.
    [​IMG]

19. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Well, I tore up the flexy rack to make space. Put'em in, wired'em up and then put in AVIA for a quick calibration. Everything is working perfectly. I ran a single interconnect from the pre-outs on the Marantz into a 'Y' splitter. From there, to the L and R inputs on the Adcoms. I used the right and left channels to bi-amp my RT55s and CS400.

Next up, Black Hawk Down. I know exactly what this sounded like with my Marantz as I watched it the night before.

Let me say, I have never, never experienced sound like this. The front soundstage just exploded. So clear and wide with such deep mid-bass. It was as if I removed towels that were wrapped around the speakers. Everything was so alive (for a lack of better words). These Adcoms just brought the movie experience to life. It really is hard to put into words. I did not break out the SPL meter during the movie, but on the Marantz dial, I am usually around 65-70. Last night I was at 80 and the sound was awesome, not fatiguing at all. The most I've had the Marantz to was 75 and after about 5 minutes the sound started to get fatiguing.

Currently I am using 10+ old cheep Monster interconnects. I should get my new interconnects from Frank (signalcable.com) in a week, the check is going out today. I know this will bring even more improvement.

I had no idea it would sound so much better, simply awesome. I need another amp for my surrounds and then a pre-amp processor. Ohhhhhhh, I'm hooked.

Didn't have time to test much more as it was nearly 10:30 and I was tired. Tonight though.....

20. John Royster