What's new

Adcom and paradigm (1 Viewer)

Stephen_Rob

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Denon avr 1905 with paradigm mini moitors. I am happy with it for Home theater but i want a little more for 2 channel audio. I am a student and don't have very much money. I was thinking of getting a used Adcom gfa 555. I can get one for $500CAD off of the canuck Audio market. I was curious if this would be a good Idea and a good match to the mini monitors.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
The 55 is a nice amp, but I think it's overkill.

The Denon puts out 100WPC right? Remember that jumping to 200WPC will only increase the maximum output by 3DBs.

You'll never use the extra 3DBs with the Paradigms.

Also remember that the 555 can be 20 years old! It was a great value amp in its day, but things progress.

Brent

Stephen_Rob

Stunt Coordinator
The denon is 80wpc. SO what your saying is that you don't think that the mini's will benifit from the extra power.

Shiu

Second Unit
I am not sure about those paradigms. When I was using the Polk Audio RTi38 for the front channels, I was getting slight, but noticeable improvement (only at very high volume) when I used my GFA555 with the 3805's pre-outs. The 555 may be 20 years old but I think it still beats most mid level receivers.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
As stat6ed by Shiu "I was getting slight, but noticeable improvement (only at very high volume) ".

I wouldn't waste my money on this, $500 towards a better 2 channel amp would make more sense.

I'd consider something like a pair of Marantz MA500 mono block amps would sound very nice with the Paradigms.

Anyways, there is nothing wrong with the amp, good quality and name. I'm more worried that it's overkill for right now, but maybe in the future you'll be able to use the amps full power. So that's another thought I guess.

I'm also worried about the age of the amp. They made a couple of versions of this amp, try to find out which version it is first.

Brent

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
The Adcom is still a great amp but I would think if you were looking for $500 worth of improvement I would just upgrade speakers ( the ones you have are very good though ) for now and look at a new amp later. I think that you would get more improvement for your dollar that way.

Shiu

Second Unit
I like my old Adcom, but I have to agree, hard to justify spending $500 for little gain.

Stephen_Rob

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help. I'm thinking of getting some Paradigm studio 40 after i'm done school. Thats why I was going to get the amp now. I found out that the amp is from the late 80' and probably not worth 500cad.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Sell the Paradigms and put the $ from that and the $500 and get a pair of 40s!!

Look Canadian used market or see what deals for a set of new speakers. Look at the 20's too ESP if you'll be going 7.1, use them for the rears.

Brent

Shiu

Second Unit
The 555 was built like a tank. I have mine, the original version, for almost 20 years and I have never experienced any problem. Even the capacitors appear to be still in excellent shape for it can keep my floor standing speakers going for a long time after its switched off.

There is nothing wrong to spend maximum $200, or 50 cents per watt, to get one in good condition. Packed with 350 WPC into 4 ohms, it will certainly do your future Studio 40 good, but for $500 you deserve much more.

mackie

Supporting Actor
I agree with the posts above. Sell your mini monitors and use your cash to buy a pair of 20s. They are very capable as main speakers and can be used as surrounds as you upgrade.

I own a set of studio 40s and added a pair of amplifiers thinking it would improve the sound. It really didn't since the 40s are a fairly easy speaker to power, and I use a sub with the crossover set at 80hz.

The 20s are an excellent speaker which you'll use for years, so if you are future oriented buy the speakers. After all, they influence the sound the most since it comes from them.

Stephen_Rob

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the advice. I will wait till the summer and buy the studio 40.

One more question what would be a good price for the studio 40's.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
i use the mini-monitors in my office. I buy and sell vintage audio gear on eBay and other places (my other hobby) I love the mini-monitor and I guess I have had at least 100 amps and receivers on them. . . Right now they are on a Kenwood KR-9600 stereo receiver (160x2) and they sound spectacular.

I have used them with Adcom GFA-555/555II/565/545/535 and 5800 and I am here to tell you that yes you will hear a difference even at low levels. Personally I like the 555II better as it has a cleaner top end than the 555. . . I understand about power and spl but there is much more to sound than pure SPL. Call it headroom or whatever but a heavy amp adds weight and authority to the sound of that speaker. Try it you might like it.

There are literaly thousands of great used high dollar amps from the mid 80s that are just fine. Very reliable and can be had right. i have a Yamaha M50 (100x2) on my front speakers and even though my receiver is rated at 110 per channel the lower powered Yamaha kills it. . .

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Gotta agree with Guy, another good budget amp you might can find that'd sound good is the AudioSource Amp3 which can simply be described as warm, detailed, and cheap and would kill most AVRs hands down. May also want to check some of the digital amps that are coming out as a single chip solution it should have the shortest pathways and may be the key for musical listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks