Adcom ACE-315 for Amp auto turn on? Any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Mar 18, 2002.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

In my search to fully automate my HT/Music system, I am looking for a way to turn on my subwoofer amp and EQ. The Crown K2 does not support any auto sense or 12v trigger, so I am considering units like the Parasound Scamp and the Adcom ACE-315. Since the Scamp is discontinued, I am considering buying the Adcom unit.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the Adcom ACE units with 12v trigger?

Thanks for your help!

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

John/Merc,

Welcome back, BTW.

I'm using a monster 3500 power center that has 12V trigger control for about 8 or 10 of its switched outlets. This takes care of all components that I want to control which do not have 12V triggers.

Incidentally, I found that I was able to use the 12V control voltages from the 950 to control not only the 3500 but also the 755 amplifier. This was accomplished by using a very simple little miniplug Y-adapter with no problems at all. Originally I was going to keep the 755 amplifier on 24/7 but the size of the amp in relation to the height of the shelves on my Sanus racks (a slightly tight fit at the top although the feet on the bottom of the 755 provide good breathing room below)makes it more prudent to turn it off when I shut down my system.

And, of course, even though the 3500 has a couple of high current outlets I choose to plug the 755 directly into the wall rather than into a power station. That's why I used the Y-adapter.

Hope some of this gives you some ideas. I'm sure that there are lots of viable options that do the same thing as my Monster 3500.

Take care.

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi Robert! Thanks for the welcome back cheer!
    Thanks for your recommendation on the y plug. In fact, Outlaw told me that the 950's 12v trigger puts out at least 500ma's, so since my big amps only require 200ma's to turn on, I could use a Y plug too. Unfortunately, I don't want both of my big boys to fire up at the same time, and am looking for some delayed sequential start up. Also, my Crown K2 does not even support auto turn on at all.
    The Parasound Scamp seemed like a natural since it was made specifically to turn on Parasound amps, but it has been discontinued for awhile and it hard to find. The adcom unit also supports high current units and sequential start ups, but I'm still leery about running my 2kwatt K2 through anything other than a wall outlet.?
    Maybe I'll end up just continuing to walk over to my rack when I want to hear a subwoofer... [​IMG]

4. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

You can use the Niles Audio 12 volt triggered AC power strip.
    www.onecall.com has them for $123. Search for "ac3".

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Gordon: Thanks for the AC3 recommendation. My local Aerial dealer also suggested this unit... his price was $110 plus tax, so maybe I ought to just go and buy it. Maybe, I'm just overthinking this whole thing? [​IMG]

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    John,

If you’re looking for sequencing the AC3 won’t cut it (from what I can tell).

You’re looking at the ACE-315 – I can’t tell from Adcom’s web page if it or the 615 performs sequencing, but the older-model ACE-515 does. If you’re not concerned with having surge protection (it’s a conditioner) you might look into one of those.

The 515 delays amps for 10 seconds at turn-on. With turn off, the amps power down first, then 30 seconds later after the capacitors have discharged the electronics turn off. (This is a great way to eliminate the notorious BFD thump, if you have one of those.) Best of all, it works from your receiver’s switched outlet – no 12v triggers needed.

The 515 is no longer in production, but you can find them on e-bay for $75-125. I have had two of them for about six years and have been very happy with them.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I used an ACE 515 for about 5 years. Has the AC delay for power amps. As Wayne pointed out, the newer ACE 315 doesn't, but the 615 does.

(Had the 615 little less than a year,but then went balanced AC with an Equitech.)

8. John Morris

John Morris Guest

9. JimN

JimN Stunt Coordinator

If anyone is interested in balanced power units take a look at Balanced Power Technologies. I have a custom designed unit for my den system which is mainly headphone based but also uses a set of small moniters and tube amps. It is two 300VA BP transformers in BP-3 case with four isolated duplex outlets. Gets rid of all the hash I was hearing when the Heating/cooling or the refrigerator kicked in.
    For switching systems check out Niles Audio. I just picked up an OTI-512 which takes the 6V DC output from my Outlaw 1050 and outputs a 12V DC trigger for my Monster HTS-3000, which turns on the Adcom GFP-565's for the mains. They have a whole series of switching products for those final, little touches.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

John- I have the 2Q. You have to look a little, but there is a part of the site where they sell demos, returns, blemished models, etc. I got it for $1600.
    But as Jim pointed out, there is also www.b-p-t.com, which even though they don't have a lot of the bells and whistles of some of the others, is *still* balanced AC.
    There are a lot of really good reviews on the Secrets site www.hometheaterhifi.com under Power Conditioners (I think).

11. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Guys: First, thank you all very much for the "Power-ful Education" on conditioners. Still, as much as I envy your systems using these babys, I just can't imagine spending that much money on them... As best as I can figure, I'd need a pair of 20 amp units for my two primary amps, another 15 amp unit for my subwoofer amp and EQ, and a final 15 amp unit for the rest of my components. That runs me well over the max $700 budget that I hoped to stay within, and more into the budget I had hoped to use to buy those new Aerial Speakers.

What benefit would I see from buying only a balanced power conditioner for my amp which powers my front L/R speakers? Or would I benefit more from using a unit to power my components and not my amps?

12. JimN

JimN Stunt Coordinator

I do not have any balanced power units for the "big rig". However, my plan is to first purchase a unit for the DVD, VCR,CD player and turntable/phono preamp. I will then proceed to buy units for the amps. IMO the purpose of conditioners/filters is to both prevent AC hash from getting to the audio units but also keeping the hash each unit generates (especially units with DACS) away from other components. For me this pretty much means that I would prefer seperate units for amps and source components. The question then becomes where do I plug in the pre/pro? Answer: Where it sounds the best. [​IMG]

13. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

John- I run my *entire* system through the one 2Q.
    (TV, cable box, turntable, tuner, pre/pro, ~300W sub, 2 3 channel amps at 200W per channel, DVD, CD-R/RW, DAT, VHS, ... You get the idea.)
    If you have separate, dedicated circuits, I could understand getting multiple units. But if it's just different plugs in the same room, more than likely you're on the same circuit anyway.
    I heavily recommend balanced power. A lot of the "filters" out there can actually *add* distortion to your AC line:
    http://www.psaudio.com/articles/power_conditioners.asp

14. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Kevin: I have one 15amp circuit, with many outlets; another 15 amp circuit, with one outlet; and two different dedicated 20 amp circuits, each with only one outlet, in my HT room. I installed the dedicated 20 amp circuits in the room because ATI specs call for one for each ATI 2505 amp. These amps are capable of putting out 350wpc x 5 each and use a 20 amp plug as well. I recently added the 15 amp circuit to handle my Crown K2 amp.
    I found that by putting the amps on seperate circuits, and by using ground loop isolators on the coax cable TV inputs, I've eliminated all audible noise from my speakers during quiet passages and with no input. The room sounds the same, even with my ear to my speaker, whether the system is on, or off.
    Still, if I could make playback sound better, I'm open to any ideas like balanced power units. Remember, this search started with the simple premise of getting my Crown K2 and EQ to autostart when I turned on my pre/pro. [​IMG]

15. JimN

JimN Stunt Coordinator