Adcom 7300 Watts vs Denon 1801 Watts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin. W, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

First off here is a link to the Adcom 7300 AMP.
    http://www.adcom.com/main/data/homet...0/gfa_7300.xml
    Question: Would 60W x5 from the Adcom be better than 70W x5 from the Denon 1801? Reason I ask is this. I'm interested in getting an AMP to power my fronts(Paradigm Min Monitors) since the Denon 1801 has output for LCR and SUB. But with limited funds and the Adcom 7300 currently on sale for $630CDN + pst, I figure this is a good deal. Other AMPs I have looked at Rotel, Anthem are in the $1100-$1500 price range. Thanks for your input.
    Kevin

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Take a look at the info here http://www.adcom.com/main/specificat...emgfa_7300.htm and see if you can find similar data for the Denon. Its "THD + noise at full power" rating is significant. Sometimes people claim power ratings that can only be produced with 1 or 2 channels driven, and perhaps not all the way through the spectrum.
    I'd consider buying a receiver with a bit more power and waiting til you can afford a bit more in an amp. I'm sure the Adcom is high quality compared to a lot of other stuff, but 60 watts still doesn't seem like much if you are driving decent sized speakers at reference levels. I don't know about other Denons, but could that $630 jump you up to the next higher model? Seems like a tough call to me cause those stats on the Adcom look real good.

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Here are the specs for the two
    Denon 1801
    70 watts per channel into 8 ohms,

4. Keith Mickunas

First let me state that I'm no expert. But I've been into this hobby for a few years now and your interpretation of the stats is in line with everything else I've read.
    My thinking, and this is the way I'm going about it as it works for my particular situation, is to wait until you can afford a real beefy amp, like the 7400 or 7500, to add the external amplification. I'm sure your right that it would be helpful in stepping to separates, and would definitely provide cleaner sound than the 1801, but if you should choose to go with demanding speakers, that 60 watts ain't going to go far, no matter how clean it is. Also notice that its only 90 watts into 4 ohms, another bad sign for high end speakers, if those are in your future.

5. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

If you want to move to separates, and have $650 or so to spend, find yourself a good slightly used 2 or 3 channel amp. This way, the mains (+ maybe center if 3 channel) are not being powered by the receiver, giving your receiver more power supply for the channels it is powering, and the main 2 or 3 speakers get the benefits of using a separate amp. Remeber, the front speakers probably acount for 90% of the total sound anyway, plus in 2 channel listening you don't even need those extra channels. This way, you can add another 2 or 3 channel amps later, a pre-amp, and you are now into even more flexible separates than buying a 5 or 6 channel amp now.
    B&K Reference (my personal fav), Parasound, Adcom, Acurus, Rotel...there are a bunch of good candidates.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Kevin: first, I don't believe that you can hear THD at a level of .075 and therefore cannot discern any difference between that and a THD of .0075. Second, I agree with Keith. Get yourself a good 2 channel amp with at least 120w per channel into 8 ohms and build from there. It requires a doubling of amp power to increase your volume by 3 dBs. Mostly, seperate quality amps sound better because they can quickly and efficiently meet the transient demands of digital music while driving tough loads.
    So, I'd recommend NOT getting the Adcom amp but instead save your money and buy a good used amp like a Parasound 1500a or an ATI 1502 or even a Carver 705(5 channel amp). You can find any of these for less than $600 if you shop carefully.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

7. Keith Mickunas

I think these guys make some good points. I'd only caution that if you buy a 2 or 3 channel amp, try and find one that is still being manufactured so that when you want to add to it you can hopefully get matching amps. Like speakers, its important that your amps are close to the same type.

8. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Thanks for all the info guys. One thing though, the $630CDN is $440US so I don't have much too play with. I just noticed on another Canadian Website that this AMP sells for $1100CDN so the 40% off deal looks sweet. I know I should save for a higher powered AMP, but my setup is used for 100% Hometheatre so I would have to increase my output to 140W if I want too see an increase of 3dB over my current Denon. Speaker wise I don't think an upgrade is in the near future, so the need for a beefy amp isn't required yet. I think I'll go see the AMP and what else they may have.
    Kevin
    [Edited last by Kevin. W on August 24, 2001 at 07:39 AM]
    [Edited last by Kevin. W on August 24, 2001 at 07:44 AM]

9. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Mark,
    Thanks for the input. I took a look at some of the other amps they have. It seems they are getting out of the Adcom line and moving over to Rotel so the Adcom is selling for cost($660CDN). I know Rotels are in the $1500+ range(3 channel and up), more than I can afford now or in the near future. Since my Hometheatre setup is in a small area of my basement(10x10) the 60wx5 will be adequate to fill. One question I have is regards to the Dynamic Headroom you mentioned. What is it and why would you say its producing 90w because of it?
    Kevin

10. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Mark and others,
    Again thanks for the input but it now looks like I have my eye on the Rotel RMB1066. It is a 6x60 AMP that can be bridged to 3x150W and will only cost about $300CDN more. I think if I go this route, I can get the extra power and pickup another one down to road for the rears. Here is a link
    http://www.rotel.com/products/rmb1066.htm
    Kevin
    [Edited last by Kevin. W on August 24, 2001 at 10:53 PM]