Adcom 5802 Impressions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Nielsen, Mar 5, 2003.

1. John Nielsen

John Nielsen Stunt Coordinator

I found this amp w/ full warranty for a very good price at a local dealer. I was wondering if anyone has anything goo or bad to say about it. I would be pushing 2 Paradigm Studio 80's with it and probably using a Denon 3802 as a Pre.

I tried the Search Feature, but that thing never works for me.

2. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    Pure class A for the first 15 watts or so.
    Can you say power? If I remember correct, that thing kicks out 400 at 8 ohms.
    Your 80's will sing [​IMG]

3. John Nielsen

The amp is rated 300 @ 8 Ohms. Would that be OK for my 80's that are rated at 250 Max? The Paradigm manual says that a amp rated higher than the speakers Max is recommended.

4. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

The advantage of using an amp with a higher output wattage with your speakers, If you really push the amp, it should never start to clip at moderately loud output levels.
    A lesser amp is far more dangerous to your speakers, as they will tend to become distorted and clip.
    Most people will use an amp of greater power & build to help protect their speakers.
    Sorry about the output wattage of that amp, I do recall when that amp first hit the streets a few years ago.
    It received some rave reviews.
    Jerry

5. John Nielsen

Cool, thanks Jerry.

6. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

300 watts is the maximum the amp puts out into 8 Ohms. Just don't run it at full volume and you'll be fine. If you pump 250 watts into those speakers, they'll be outputting around 115dB. The cops will probably be at your door before you overpower those speakers.

7. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I have read good things as well about that amp.
    A couple of years ago it was a "class B recommended component" in
    "Stereophile".

Also the Paradigms are very efficient and you'd do fine even if it was only 100 watts.