1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Adaptor insanity

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ChristopherDAC, Jan 14, 2005.

1. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

If you're anything like me, you've accumulated plenty of workarounds to connect the variety of esoteric connectors on your equipment with each other. So let's all admit to it!
    I'll start.

PL-259 male, BNC female
    PL-259 male, RCA female
    1/4 in phone male, 1/8 in phone female
    1/8 in phone male, RCA female
    RCA male, BNC female
    RCA male, F female
    F male, RCA female
    F male, BNC female
    BNC male, F female
    BNC male, RCA female

F barrels [female-female]

and maybe something I've forgotten?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'm afraid I only have RCA, SVideo and Toslink connectors on the back of my equipment. (Ok, "F" connectors as well)

I'd love to have BNC jacks on the video connectors.

What are you doing with the "F" to BNC and phono adaptors?

3. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Early LaserDisc players have baseband video out via a female F connector, which of course requires an F-RCA or F-BNC adaptor, and I find it's easier to put it on the back of the unit and use the same cabling for everything. Actually, I don't have such a player at the moment, but I've had 2 [gave them to an uncle to scavenge for parts, rather than replace the laser tubes, since I have a couple of good solid-state machines]. The BNC is actually for my television camera, and the half-inch Sony open-reel VTR has PL-259s on the back for video and mini phone jacks for audio. At the moment I'm experimenting with sending video around the house via the wiring the former owners installed for CATV, and so using plenty of F adaptors.
    Come to think of it, I have an ATI dongle to bring S-video, composite, and stereo audio into my CPU, but I don't know if that is really an "adaptor".
    The other day I saw an old LD-S2 which had one of the two video RCA outs replaced with a BNC. I bet the owner had professional video equipment of some kind, since I can hardly see him doing the same thing to all of his equipment.

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

And now I need to add: SO-259 to BNC male. SO-259 is the "female" of the connector pair to which PL-259 is the "male".

5. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Add: BNC barrel. I've started to accumulate profressional equipment, alas, and I'm going to need something to interface between XLR and RCA. Don't have it yet, though.