What's new

adaptor cable? (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
hey, im looking to hook my pc up to my reciever, so i need one of those adaptors that turns the little green sound jack into rca, the only catch is, it needs to be 25-30' long. do you think radio shack would carry something like that, or would i be better off getting something online?

Thanks,

Pete

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Should be able to use a combination of a headphone extension with the 3.5 to RCA adapter. The length of the run combined with the adapting may degrade your quality a little though.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I'd do it the other way around, get a quality RCA < - > RCA cable of the proper length and then a short 3.5mm - > RCA cable.

You can also make a custom cable with RCA in one end and a 3.5mm connector in the other, but that would require having no problems with, for instance, taking an RCA < - > RCA cable, lopping off one end and attaching a 3.5mm connector to it instead.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
ok, i can't seem to get me a 30' rca cable anywhere, the longest i can get from radio shack seems to be a 24' I really don't have the budget to get a blue jeans cable either :frowning:

any advice?

i already have a little plug that goes out from the computer jack and turns to rca jack, So i was hoping to just use one long rca cable... i'm trying to minimize the number of connections, especially since it's such a long run

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
It should be entirely possible to go to Radio Shack or some such place and buy the amount of cable you need and a set of decent connectors and then put together your own cable. It may seem daunting but in reality it's a breeze. You need a working mind, a sharp instrument of some kind to strip cable and a tiny screwdriver (assuming you get solderless connectors) and that's about it.

If you're making a custom cable you may as well skip the converter and start with something like this(I think 1/8 inch is a 3.5 millimeter plug, but with your wacky old inches over there in the US who can tell... ;).

To that, add something like this, ie solderless - but I would recommend something a bit more robust, made out of metal, if you can find it.

To put between those, 30 feet of the appropriate cable - I got tired of looking through Radio Shack's massive web pages but they have employees who should hopefully know enough to help you find the right stuff. One cable, two shielded wires internally.

You attach the cable to solderless connectors by simply screwing them on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks