What's new

Adapter needed: component video (F) to DB15 VGA (M) (1 Viewer)

Kevin_W

Second Unit
I have a buddy who has one of those Philips 55" 55PP9352 RPTV's. On the back they have two inputs capable of 480p/1080i however one of these inputs is a DB15 VGA port. Philips says just toggle an option on the menu and get an adapter. Well, he's got the option set so its ready to accept a component input, we just can't seem to track down an inexpensive adapter. There are countless $150+ units out there that do all the digital to analog conversion in addition to the gender change, but he doesn't need that since the TV will do that, he just needs the adapter. Checked the obvious places like Radioshack and partsexpress and either they don't seem to have them or I am not using the correct terminology in my searches. Hoping maybe someone on the forum has come across such adapters.

Thanks in advance
Kevin

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Not sure if it is exactly what you need but Mitsubishi has a product # VGA-RCA3 which is a DB15 to 3 x RCA Component Video for about 40 bucks. Straight cable, no convertor. They sell it as a Projector Accessory.
BTW, Monster has a 'similar' product which starts at 200 dollars ;)
http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1555

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Thanks Paul. In doing someresearch on the net I've found that they are called "breakout" cables and then once I put that into google, a whole list of places popped up. Figures Monster would charge about 300% more than what I've been finding them for.

Jerry Dreiss

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting! So, does this mean when I'm shopping for a STB that I don't need to only chose one that has VGA out to go into my available VGA input on my set? I can use the STB's component instead?
What is the video quality like?

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Jerry, it would appear so... at least on this Philips. Now note that the Philips has an option that you set to change it from a digital input to an analog component capable input. Companies like Audio Authority and the like make devices that do this in case the set cannot... But whether these devices are just a slam dunk and work for anything I can't comment on since this will be the first time I've worked with a VGA port on a TV.

Can't comment on video quality yet, he hasn't received them yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks