What's new

Adaptation (Superbit) - 5/20/03 (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Something else: Spike Jonze has the best car accidents in any movie. The two in Adaptation are incredible. Lucky for me I had my hands on an Academy screener so I could rewind them.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
please use spoilers there still are some of us who havent seen it yet.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
:laugh:

In my opinion, this is one of those films where it helps to have the premise spoiled (to an extent), so that you know what to look for. I caught a fair amount of it on my first theatrical viewing, but I got the distinct impression that I was the only one in the theater who did.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Even though it might seem small and perhaps obvious, this is one area I wouldn't want spoiled for me.

Ok I admit I'm slow. Besides Kaufman adapting Orleans' book into a movie and the concept of orchids adapting to appear like specific bugs in order for the bugs to pollinize them, I just realized that the title of the movie also deals with Kaufman adapting to Hollywood's typical storytelling methods. Correct me if I'm wrong. And of course he does adapt by the end of the movie which is why it's so shlocky and typical.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Of course the funniest comment I heard was a friend of mine said he hated the whole movie because it was slow and boring but loved the ending because it was exciting and filled with drugs car crashes etc
That is a hilarious comment, but it's also a pretty scary one when you get right down to it.

Not to get off on a rant here, but why are so many people such IDIOTS when it comes to film? I was standing in line at the local multiplex a couple of weeks ago and I overheard some lunkhead discussing Chicago with someone else: "Yeah, I ain't seen it but I've heard it's pretty good...for a musical, anyway. I mean, I guess not everything you see has to have guns and explosions, huh?" He wasn't trying to be funny, by the way; it was a "serious" discussion about cinema.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Adaptation DVD. I wish it had some extra material, but at least since it's "Superbit" I shouldn't have too many compression artifacts. Meryl Streep and Chris Cooper are awesome in this movie. You gotta love the "dial tone" scene! (Those of you who have seen the film know exactly what I'm referring to.)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
In case people don't know what the real Charlie Kaufman looks like, here's a recent photo:

Can you guess which one he is? :p)

Jodee

Screenwriter
I think I will hold off on the inevitable Special Edition.

I was somewhat disappointed with this movie (I loved BJM so much better and this one wasn't as enjoyable to me.) I'll give it another chance on DVD, but I don;t think it;s worth the double-dip for me.

I agree with the criticisms of the third act-- even though I "got" it, it still didn't mean I enjoyed the last third of the film that much.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Strange that there is no review thread here yet. I saw this movie for the first time on DVD tonight. First I have to say how I felt before. I was very skeptical to watch this movie. *To me* Spike Jonze’s last movie “Being John Malkovich” was pure crap and I hated it. I just hated it so much that I said I’m not going to see anything Spike Jonze. At least not easily. Anyway for some reason I saw “Adaptation” tonight and to make it short, I was shaken to my very bones! :emoji_thumbsup:

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
the HTF rules prevent anyone else from doing on.
Well I don’t think that is a problem. It’s a discussion forum and anyone can post a topic and talk about a DVD. I think the forbidden thing is that you promote another site here.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
It took me a good 10 or more minutes in Circuit City deciding whether I should get this Superbit DVD or not. I wanted to hold out for a special edition, if there ever is one. But then I told myself eh, it would be my first Superbit purchase anyway so I might as well get it. The picture looks fantastic. As close to HDTV as I'll get with my component cable hook-up and Superbit DVD I reckon.

Another reason why I got this movie is because I'm working on a script and I want it to have the same sort of weird kinetic energy that this movie has. I don't think I've ever watched a movie that actually makes me want to write. I usually hate the process but this movie inspires me.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Oh and also check out the filmographies. Donald Kaufman's "The 3" has a release date of 2004??

BarryS

Second Unit
I just wanted to say that Adaptation is probably my favorite movie of the last year. It's a brilliant, hilarious spit-ball aimed right at Hollywood.

I might regret it later on (if and when a special edition is released) but I just had to buy the DVD. I knew immediately after I first saw it that this was a movie I had to own. I got it at Best Buy for a really good price, so that helps. Picture quality is great, although dark scenes have some visible grain. Kind of surprising, considering it's a SuperBit title. Extras would have been nice, but the movie itself makes the disc well worth purchasing.

By the way, did everyone's DVD have a little note inside where the insert usually is?

"From the desk of Robert Stephenson,

Clair... Please use a DVD case without these clips. We don't have anything to clip in. Can you find out about pricing and a time frame for this?

Thanks,

Bob"

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
The ending was a cute trick and makes you think but it still was INCREDIBLY boring and almost unwatchable. If your going to teach me a lesson I still want to be entertained.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Hey everybody.

Here's the situation, my family has rented Adaptation partially at my request. I know there are a couple of sexual scenes in the film I would prefer to avoid while watching with them. So if anyone could give me the timecodes for when the scenes start and stop so I could skip them with the magic of DVD, that would be a big help. Thanks all

Page

Stunt Coordinator

There are some masturbation scenes in the film and a shot of naked female breasts, but I think trying to skip around those scenes will leave most viewers confused in a movie that you need to pay attention to to follow. (The way it is filmed I wouldn't call the sex scenes gross or overindulgant. And they're relatively brief.) You might want to try MrSkin.com and see if he's listed where the nudity is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks